Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dose anyone know what the best replacement for the rear Fox-Triad shock would be (money is no object) and what’s the MAX travel to be gotten in the rear out of this bike???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want something that could take a hit, i know that there are issues with dimensions when it comes to spec's using unusual gmtry so i wanted to see what would be a good fit. I would prefer it to be plush with lockout and able to take 4+ foot drops.

·
The Toasted One
9 Posts
I think that you can fit a Fox RP2 or RP23 (7.5x2) with no problems, recently i bought a RP2 on ebay ($170) and i put it on my 09 fsrxc and it ROCKS! Im thinking on selling the FSRxc and keep the shock to put it on my 09 Stumpjumper elite, i will post the results.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Lambdamaster said:
you can source a custom Fox RP23 in 7.75"x1.75" that will swap out with the Triad
one way is to just give PUSH a call
here is a thread with some pertinent info:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=279421&highlight=Triad
That thread info is based on the previous generation stumpjumper suspension setup. The '09 model uses the rocker style linkage, so a 7.75" likely won't work. I have been tempted over and over to test out an RP23 7.5 x 2" on my '09 SJ FSR Comp...Maybe before the winter ends I'll try it.

The '09s with the Triad have 7.25 x 1.75" shocks. The extra 1/4" of shaft length from an RP23 may or may not cause rubbing on the top cap of the shock against the rocker arm...I don't believe the extra 1/4" of suspension travel will be a problem though. With the stock shock completely deflated and compressed, there was enough room from the back of the seat tube to the rear triangle brace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been trying to find out more on this subject too. I have an 09 Stumpy Pro and I have got a RP23 7.5 x 2 from a friend. With some new bushes I have just fitted it on my bike.

From a mechanical side there appears to be no issues with rubbing or contact throughout the entire stroke. Also, as my bike has a 140mm Talas fork I don't see that there is any major change to the head angle compared to running in 120mm setting on the Fork with the standard brain shock. So the end result is a higher BB (8mm ish - good thing) and around 15mm extra travel.

My question is, now I am trying to get the settings right does any one know what compression and re-bound tune will work best (I am around 85kg with kit) and anyone got any tip? Is the 09 suspension a rising/falling rate? I will probably buy my own RP23 now that it seems to work ok, so I want to save time going round in circles to find the best settings - also need to chose whether to buy from ebay or new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess one would contact a Kona dealer and ask him? Like some people did with the previous generation of stumpjumpers and a cannondale bike that had the same size shock. But now I'm wondering what factory tune the rp23 on the kona hei hei has. And I seem to read nothing but trouble about the new boost valve thing...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just ordered a PUSHed RP23 from TF Tuned Shox (UK). The guy there I spoke to said that it is possible to order a 185mm shock, but I have gone for the 190mm for the benefits of extra travel, raised BB and better re-sale potential. I have opted for non-boost valve. Will post some more once it is fitted and tested.

·
namagomi
2,884 Posts
ddkoetsier said:
I guess one would contact a Kona dealer and ask him? Like some people did with the previous generation of stumpjumpers and a cannondale bike that had the same size shock. But now I'm wondering what factory tune the rp23 on the kona hei hei has. And I seem to read nothing but trouble about the new boost valve thing...
Yeah since it is on the 29r... it works out to be 100mm over 1.75 vs 120mm over 1.75

Might be just a difference in setting the psi/sag... what sort of factory tuning do you suspect would be done?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have an '09 with an '09 RP23 7.5X2.0. I am using the stock Triad air can for the smaller air volume to help with bottom-out (I'm 230lb). The shock has medium compression and rebound tunes (off a Fisher Hi-Fi). I am using a PIKE on the front at full travel and this gives me a head angle of about 69deg and a bottom bracket of 14in with Eskar tires. Still waiting to complete the build but driveway testing is very positive.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I tracked down a reasonably price 7.25x2.0' RP23 for my bike and got a chance to ride it today. First thing I noticed was that I set the pressure about 40psi lower than I was setting the Triad, and the RP23 felt more firm (Propedal set to 3)..That's a plus for me. I don't think the Triad was meant to handle riders in the ~200lb range, it's just too soft. The clearances are fine, no problem with contact at full stroke, I checked with the shock deflated. I got the high compression model, which I wanted because I like having a firm feel. So far so good..we'll see how it is in the long term.

-Gabe

·
Registered
329 Posts
Looks like you have a firm compression tune from the above picts. Is it harsh, or just right?

I've got a '09 SJ comp waiting for me at me LBS. Just got a RP23 2.0x7.5" medium compression, light rebound from ebay a month ago. Going to swap the Triad out right away. I'm about 210 with my riding gear.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I didn't measure the bottom bracket height beforehand unfortunately. The change was minimal at best. I have a couple rides on it now, and I like it. The shock bobs less, traction is great, and i'm not bottoming out. I can't say i'm skilled enough to tell the difference in steering before/after the change. Anyone who's thinking about it...DO IT!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.