Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the search function untill I turned blue and couldnt find anything. Shopping for a new rig and this bike seems to fit within my budget and I know about the Stumpy's rep. Anybody know what the weight is? Any weaknesses and what your first upgrade be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Have you thought about building it up yourself? Your talking upgrades before you even purchase it, why not build it the way you like it.

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
agabriel said:
Have you thought about building it up yourself? Your talking upgrades before you even purchase it, why not build it the way you like it.
Of course! I prefer building my own bikes and have done so a few times. But as far as I know you cant buy a new Stumpy frame alone. The comp seems to be a pretty well speced bike and it would be cheaper to buy one than build something from scratch. What I am really interested to know is what the weight is of the off the shelf bike. In the large size.

I went the route of buying an FSR XC before and ended up with 3k in the dang thing when I was finished.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The spec website advertises a few frames, a carbon one and 29er one. I guess I typically look for a frame that has a year or two on it when I build...

·
Registered
113 Posts
UK magazine What Mountainbike tested a SJ Comp in size 18 and it weighed 10,5 kg without pedals. Fairly light in my opinion.

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JSQ said:
UK magazine What Mountainbike tested a SJ Comp in size 18 and it weighed 10,5 kg without pedals. Fairly light in my opinion.
Thanks man. Yes thats not too bad at all. :thumbsup:

·
Slazz
155 Posts
I am getting ready to buy my Stumpy HT in a couple weeks. I go to college and I just sold my 2004 Felt F50 with full Ultegra Parts and I also sold my 2001 Rockhopper that I upgraded. Now I have the money for the Stumpy. I already bought XTR Front and Rear Derailleurs and the XTR Rapid Shifters. I am not a fan of Sram for some reason, just dont like it. I thought about building my own bike but it wouldnt be practical for my budget especially when I dont work when I am away at school.
I cant wait though. The Stumpy is only 23 pounds stock! Cant wait to make it lighter! haha;:)

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tooth McGavin said:
I am getting ready to buy my Stumpy HT in a couple weeks. I go to college and I just sold my 2004 Felt F50 with full Ultegra Parts and I also sold my 2001 Rockhopper that I upgraded. Now I have the money for the Stumpy. I already bought XTR Front and Rear Derailleurs and the XTR Rapid Shifters. I am not a fan of Sram for some reason, just dont like it. I thought about building my own bike but it wouldnt be practical for my budget especially when I dont work when I am away at school.
I cant wait though. The Stumpy is only 23 pounds stock! Cant wait to make it lighter! haha;:)
I cant tell by the pics but that crank looks cheap and heavy. Going to the XT HT2 might drop a quarter to half a pound of rotating mass for about $250. Toss in your XTR gear and a light bar like the Monkey light and you may lose another 1/4 pound. With a good wheelset, a Thomson seat post and stem 21 pounds may be possible. :p

·
Slazz
155 Posts
Thank you for the tips! I am planning on ripping the brakes off this summer as well to drop some weight....plus I heard the Elixir's are not the best. But I shall try them out. I plan on looking for some Carbon bars and carbon stem along with a carbon seatpost. I like the look of the XT crank vs the XTR.....is there any HUGGE difference in weight between the two? And are the XTR chain and Cassette worth buying? Or should I go with the Sram 991? with hollowpin? I just do not like Sram parts.
I think I will keep the rims until another season when I can afford some new ones or until I can get the XT rims. :)

Any suggestions on backup tires?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Tooth McGavin said:
Thank you for the tips! I am planning on ripping the brakes off this summer as well to drop some weight....plus I heard the Elixir's are not the best. But I shall try them out. I plan on looking for some Carbon bars and carbon stem along with a carbon seatpost. I like the look of the XT crank vs the XTR.....is there any HUGGE difference in weight between the two? And are the XTR chain and Cassette worth buying? Or should I go with the Sram 991? with hollowpin? I just do not like Sram parts.
I think I will keep the rims until another season when I can afford some new ones or until I can get the XT rims. :)

Just curious, what is wrong with the Elixirs?

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tooth McGavin said:

Unless your a complete weight weenie with alot of money, the XTR cranks arnt worth the extra money. Tires depends on your terrain and your riding style. as long as they are Kendas. :p

Check my profile and "My photos". I built up this 08 FSR XC comp and got it down to 25.6 lbs.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/3/ppuser/309196

·
Slazz
155 Posts
Just got my Stumpy today!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!! Thats all I have to say! However, I did put the XTR shifters and rear derailleur on. The front XTR derailleur has not come in yet. :(
The only problem I have now.......weather. Still freezing cold. Need more warm clothes.
Other than that I cant wait to ride!

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tooth McGavin said:
Just got my Stumpy today!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!!! Thats all I have to say! However, I did put the XTR shifters and rear derailleur on. The front XTR derailleur has not come in yet. :(
The only problem I have now.......weather. Still freezing cold. Need more warm clothes.
Other than that I cant wait to ride!
WE need pics! :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts