Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

09 Shimano Saints or Race Face Diabolus Crank set?

• 2009 Shimano Saints Crank set

Votes: 39 86.7%
  • 2009 Race Face Diabolus Crank set

Votes: 6 13.3%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fly High!
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Shimano Saints or Race Face Diabolus Cranks? It will be for a Transition Blindside DH Bike, Im looking at getting 170 lenght. The riding trails are mostly hard rock and yes I am hard on stuff, weight is not a big issue as I am running solid steal cranks right now. PS>>>>It looks like I can get either or for about the same price.

·
Living the High Life
4,543 Posts
No question, Saints. The Shimano interface is my favorite and Saints are super stiff. The only guy I've seen bend Saints cased a 20 foot out, 7 foot down jump. And he weighed about 200 lbs. They were still rideable, just a little bent.

·
I like air!
915 Posts
I'm 200 pounds without gear and gone through some cranks mostly from smashing against rocks. Saints have help up perfectly over the past year and I agree with above about Shimano interface or more so the integrated BB and zero problems with the set-up. I give Saints a thumbs up.

G

·
Ithnu said:
The only guy I've seen bend Saints cased a 20 foot out, 7 foot down jump.
Riot cases jumps that big multiple times in a day:D

Just order the Saint's. I wouldn't ask the shop to help you with install though, they may 86 you for buying online.

G

·
Nick_M2R said:
RF Diablous
Stiffer than saint, not to heavy, and dont worry bout the crank/spindle interface, theres nothing wrong with it

Actually I run Diabolus and on my first set, I did break the spline interface. Granted, they warrantied them no questions asked, but they did break and the Saints are quite a bit lighter for 09.

·
Fly High!
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sixsixtysix said:
Oh yeah, and your poll needs a "I would rather ride your mom" option... :p
wow looks like saints! ;) thats a lot of votes!

·
Fly High!
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sixsixtysix said:

Just order the Saint's. I wouldn't ask the shop to help you with install though, they may 86 you for buying online.
Yup its Case'oroma! HECK ya IM gona ask for my LBS to help! only after I ask them what ones to buy, then I'll buy online and come in and wonder why they just cant put them on! :skep: :nono: jk LBS

·
Registered
352 Posts
sixsixtysix said:

Haha:p I thought I was rough on bikes until I started riding with Riot.

I agree, get the saints, the price is right. I like mine so far, and they made it through breaking that pedal yesterday unscathed. And you can pick up that wheel for cheap from the same place while you're at it.

You know who will crap a brick though if he has two install another set of those that somebody got for less than dealer cost. Better bring presents if you do take them in there.

·
Fly High!
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
flOw dOwn said:
Haha:p I thought I was rough on bikes until I started riding with Riot.

I agree, get the saints, the price is right. I like mine so far, and they made it through breaking that pedal yesterday unscathed. And you can pick up that wheel for cheap from the same place while you're at it.

You know who will crap a brick though if he has two install another set of those that somebody got for less than dealer cost. Better bring presents if you do take them in there.
Heck ya! I got a step by step pic of you taking off with a pedal but landing with only half a one! Ill post up tonight. :thumbsup: Ya LBS is gona have enough bricks for a wall ride! Maybe they will price match:confused: :eek: :eekster: only couple hundo :rolleyes:

·
Registered
352 Posts
RidingRiot said:
Heck ya! I got a step by step pic of you taking off with a pedal but landing with only half a one! Ill post up tonight. :thumbsup: Ya LBS is gona have enough bricks for a wall ride! Maybe they will price match:confused: :eek: :eekster: only couple hundo :rolleyes:
Nice!! Yeah, always feel bad about cutting the LBS out and then taking the bike in there for work, but less than half the retail price is hard to pass up.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Nick_M2R said:
RF Diablous
Stiffer than saint, not to heavy, and dont worry bout the crank/spindle interface, theres nothing wrong with it
I had 4 (2 diabolus, 2 Atlas) sets wear out before I changed brands. The interface on each and every set got sloppy after 3 to 4 removal/instal cycles...

The bike biz went through this 20 years ago with the first version of the Redline Flight cranks (pre profile). They all got loose at the interface until a redesign put a pinch bolt on the crank arm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts