Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to order up a set of the new 09 Saints to shave some weight on my 09 Demo 8, but i have heard some people saying that they are not compatible....something to do with chainline, but i thought the only thing that changed was the offset for the bashguard. I was planing to run them along with an LG1 or one of the MRP guides to shave some weight down. Can anyone confirm if this will or will not work, and if not why? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
They will not work because they have the wrong chainline. The sanits have a 50mm chainline, but a demo uses a 56mm chainline. They will work, but you will have a horrible chainline in the higher gears. You could get the 83mm version and use raceface 83-73mm bb conversion kit. I do not know how the chainguide works with the conversion, but a lg-1 is probably the best bet.

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, that stinks, i really did not want to have to go to something like an XT crank to shave some weight down there, and i dont want to try to "make" it work by rigging some parts up, oh well, guess the old truvativ stays on there for now.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The only cranks that will work are TruVativ. XT, Gravity lites, saints and many other will not work. Its a bummer because the light option is Holzfeller OCT and they aren't that light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't like saying this...but You're WRONG! Here's on '08 Demo 7 w/ said '09 Saint Crank and LG1 guide: Works perfectly! NO MODIFICATION NEEDED!

·
Registered
15 Posts
All I know is it's on my bike. It's been on my bike for 2 1/2 months and works GREAT!!! No chainline issue or crazy rubbing/grinding noise in the upper 23/25 cogs on the cass.

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
tnmtnbkr said:
All I know is it's on my bike. It's been on my bike for 2 1/2 months and works GREAT!!! No chainline issue or crazy rubbing/grinding noise in the upper 23/25 cogs on the cass.
with the 50mm cl that u are more than likely running, your chain will have a better line in the upper (23/25t) cogs....the chain will be at a greater angle in the lower cogs (11t/12t whichever u have)...so any "rubbing/grinding" noises would occur while in the lower cogs and not the upper...u may not expereince any noticeable effect but u will more than likely wear your drivetrain quicker

·
Registered
743 Posts
pipes10 said:
with the 50mm cl that u are more than likely running, your chain will have a better line in the upper (23/25t) cogs....the chain will be at a greater angle in the lower cogs (11t/12t whichever u have)...so any "rubbing/grinding" noises would occur while in the lower cogs and not the upper...u may not expereince any noticeable effect but u will more than likely wear your drivetrain quicker
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but can't you just put a spacer to make the saints have a 56mm chainline? Is it that the bb spindle is too short if you run it with a spacer? Can you run the chainring on the outside of the spider?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.