Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I ordered the new Rockhopper last week. It came in on Friday and I rode it all weekend. Of course. So I have a question for ya.... When climbing up hills (while on trails) I notice that my back tire will slip. Is this common? Also, how do you prevent the back tire from slipping while climbing? I'm standing up BTW...

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bwheelin said:
They came out with the 09's already?
hahaha. Yes, the bikes shops can order them now, but they do not officially come out till October. The components are SRAM and then changed the angles slightly on the frame. Specialized got rid of the Rockhopper Disk in 09 and you can only get the Rockhopper Comp Disk instead. So if you have a 08 Rockhopper Disk, you have the last one :)

MSRP on this bike is 770.00

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fastale said:
...and a smoother pedal stroke. keep constant power through the entire revolution, you may want to invest into some clipless shoes/pedals.
Yeah, I was thinking of clipless pedals. I have always ridden road bikes, never a mountain bike till Friday. :).. I have to say, it's totally DIFFERENT. I'll look into clipless options here as well.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
The tires are fine. (well unless you ride in mud), just drop the pressure to 35psi, i ride at 30psi and they are great. Just sit down and get some clipless pedals so you can apply even power throughout the revolution.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Try staying seated and getting your weight back and low. You want to get weight over the rear tire without un-weighting or pulling up on the front. Picking the right gear, having a smooth pedal stroke, and having the right tire pressure all help too. It really comes down to technique and getting the feel for it. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
rcapilli said:
So I ordered the new Rockhopper last week. It came in on Friday and I rode it all weekend. Of course. So I have a question for ya.... When climbing up hills (while on trails) I notice that my back tire will slip. Is this common? Also, how do you prevent the back tire from slipping while climbing? I'm standing up BTW...
There has been some good advice on climbing technique... ...but some not so good (or maybe incomplete would be a better way to phrase it). I'd suggest picking up a copy of Mountain Bike Like A Champion by Ned Overend. It can really help you with your skills.

Weighting the back tire when climbing a steep hill is not accomplished by simply getting back in the saddle. That alone would be counterproductive. You do want to weight the back tire to keep traction, that is accurate, but when your bike is going up a hill you do so by getting your center of gravity forward some so that with the upward angle of the bike your center of gravity is still pushing straight down on the tire. That requires shifting your weight forward toward the bar, not backward. On some hills, that could mean sitting back in the saddle a little and leaning forward. On steeper heels that could mean shifting even more weight forward by getting to the front of the saddle and leaning forward. It is a delicate balancing act and over time you learn the feel of how you need to shift your weight.

Think of it this way--when you go down a steep hill, and the bike is angled downward, you want to get your center of gravity backward. If you don't, you put too much weight on the front wheel and risk an endo. Sometimes you even stand and get all the way behind the saddle. Climbing is the opposite.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gatorback said:
There has been some good advice on climbing technique... ...but some not so good (or maybe incomplete would be a better way to phrase it). I'd suggest picking up a copy of Mountain Bike Like A Champion by Ned Overend. It can really help you with your skills.

Weighting the back tire when climbing a steep hill is not accomplished by simply getting back in the saddle. That alone would be counterproductive. You do want to weight the back tire to keep traction, that is accurate, but when your bike is going up a hill you do so by getting your center of gravity forward some so that with the upward angle of the bike your center of gravity is still pushing straight down on the tire. That requires shifting your weight forward toward the bar, not backward. On some hills, that could mean sitting back in the saddle a little and leaning forward. On steeper heels that could mean shifting even more weight forward by getting to the front of the saddle and leaning forward. It is a delicate balancing act and over time you learn the feel of how you need to shift your weight.

Think of it this way--when you go down a steep hill, and the bike is angled downward, you want to get your center of gravity backward. If you don't, you put too much weight on the front wheel and risk an endo. Sometimes you even stand and get all the way behind the saddle. Climbing is the opposite.
sweeet. I'll check the book out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kawsakimx6 said:
you know that is an 08 right????
Nope, it's an 09 Comp model. I actually looked at it online at the bike shop. It's all Charcoal with SRAM components. The 08 comps come in Candy Red and Silver/Blue. You can call your local bike shop and ask them about the 09 models.

To answer the other question about "Where can I see the 09 models online". Right now you can't. Only the bike shops will have them. BUT.. they are not on the floor yet, they have to order them from Specialized.

So why do I have one?

Simple. I have a white Trek road bike and the only Rockhopper that my LBS had was the 08 WHITE Rockhopper disk. I didn't want white again.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEq...mag_EL_9182-62.jpg&equipmodel=Rockhopper Disc

So I asked if they had the black and green in the back. Nope, they didn't. I asked them if they can order the black/green. They went to look and said that they did not have any from their dealer, BUT, they had the 09 Rockhopper Comp Disk (which was a bit more $$) in charcoal. So I went around the desk and looked at the specs. I asked them how long it would take to get here and he said 3 days... But they only had one in inventory from their distributor. I left the LBS and thought about it. Came back the next day and ordered it.

Basically, it came down to color for me and I didn't want white again, and I wanted a Rockhopper. If you would like to see more pictures of it, just let me know and I'll post them up. Any questions about it?, feel free to ask me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.