Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pick up an 09 Reba 120 for a new build. Have 2 older Rebas and wanted to hear if the 09s are stiffer from folks that have ridden both. Will probably run the QR model to work with current wheels, but some improved stiffness would be nice.

Sounds like the dual air spring and dampening configuration are similar to the older models.

Any other feedback, warnings, or pointers??

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of what is out there is based on test rides. Looking for feedback from folks who've had em for a while - that have em broken in - that can give some longer term feedback. (See the comment about warnings, pointers, etc?) Not gonna show up in test ride reports.

Apparently the U-turn has a popping and clicking problem that's just showing up after some time on the fork - searching through old crap wouldn't have pulled that up.

Any useful feedback from someone that has been riding one for a while?

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Hey J, Let me know, If, and when, you decide to get ride of your old Rebas. I know some locals who are looking for a used Reba.

You might try to find Rob on the local boards. I understand he got a New model Reba with the T/A. He should have a ride or two on it by now..

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a couple 2009 Rebas and they are a bit beefier than previous models. I did have an issue with my u-turn version but I called SRAM and they said it was a bad air assembly. They sent one to me overnight without hesitation. The CS said that every once in a while a bad air assembly makes it into a fork. I opted for them to ship me the part instead of sending in the fork as I have opened up rock shox forks several times.

I currently own:
2009 Reba Team U-turn with Maxle - Great adjustability, but hate the poploc
2009 Reba Team with Maxle - Set to 80mm for my new Jabberwocky project

I have owned:
2009 Reba Race with QR - Set to 100mm on an XC oriented Sultan
2008 Reba Race with QR - Set to 100mm on an XC oriented Sultan

The difference between 20mm and QR is obvious, but the real difference was between the 2008 and 2009 quick release forks. The 2009 blows away the 2008 in regards to stiffness and offset (depending on bike geometry). You can see the burliness in the dropouts due to their position against the front of the lowers instead of below the lowers. I felt less deflection on the trail and could keep a better line in some of the more technical sections.

My only complaint is that you can't get the Reba Team U-turn without it coming with poploc. I do not need or want poploc on my full suspension bike. I do however like it on my singlespeed. I just removed the entire motion control unit from one fork to the other to get the exact fork I wanted on each bike.

I also wish (not a complaint) the travel would have been 80-120 as several 29er singlespeeds seem to be built around 80mm forks. I know 10mm isn't a huge difference, but it is still a difference. That was my reasoning for droping my other 2009 Reba Team w/maxle to 80mm.

That being said... others may disagree with me completely. Opinions are like arseholes...

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I have the 120 with maxle no uturn and the 07 100 race w/ poplock
hard to say what the stiffness would have been without the maxle but its considerably stiffer now.
I got tired of waiting for the uturn version and to be honest I probably dont need it. I had the poplock on the other fork and , while I did use it occasionally, mostly I didnt. several times I left it locked by accident.
I've got to say the new Reba is one of the nicest forks Ive used, the maxle, the stiffness and the overall feel is much better than the old version. And I liked the older version better than My WB130

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
burner: I have a Reba team with the Pop loc.

To the warnings, issues thing: I haven't experienced any oddities with the one I'm riding. It is dead quiet, stiff, and much better than the 100mm Reba I was riding on last winter.

I will only say that the Pop Loc is not impressive to me. I am not sold on it yet, and I think it might be an aquired taste. I am not liking how it functions, since the one I have doesn't allow for a totally open to totally locked out situation, and it can't be set wherever you want inbetween. it's an "either or" lock out lever. I wish it was a infinitely variable lever. That I would have found more useful.

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
I have a F29 on my TNT Sultan frame. I just got a DW Link frame yesterday and think I may build it up a little burlier. What (if anything) do you gain from going with a Reba over a Minute? Or do they both perform well and it just comes down to personal preference? I know the U Turn forks sometimes have a clunking issue. This was even the case on an old Duke I had. Any issues with the Minute? From what I have seen on other threads it looks like a solid fork for a good price.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
There's a fix for the pushloc Uturn Reba's, I did the mod on mine and the comp. knob adj's like a standard version now, bye bye pooploc.

Ridin Dirty- I've been riding a Minute for the last year on my Sultan, done a few rides on the new Reba and the damping is so much nicer, and the air spring allows for more fine tuning. I think the Reba has a plusher/smoother feel at the top of the stroke and none of the dive issues which was the biggest issue for me with the Minute, and no more stupid tools needed to take off the front wheel.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Enoch said:
Hey J, Let me know, If, and when, you decide to get ride of your old Rebas. I know some locals who are looking for a used Reba.

You might try to find Rob on the local boards. I understand he got a New model Reba with the T/A. He should have a ride or two on it by now..
check your PM

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I don't mind paying a little more for a fork that has a better feel, and I don't like that I have heard others mention brake dive as well.

rroeder said:
There's a fix for the pushloc Uturn Reba's, I did the mod on mine and the comp. knob adj's like a standard version now, bye bye pooploc.

Ridin Dirty- I've been riding a Minute for the last year on my Sultan, done a few rides on the new Reba and the damping is so much nicer, and the air spring allows for more fine tuning. I think the Reba has a plusher/smoother feel at the top of the stroke and none of the dive issues which was the biggest issue for me with the Minute, and no more stupid tools needed to take off the front wheel.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.