Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a Email from the Oz Santa Cruz wholesaler informing me my 09 large Nomad may just make it for it for Xmas!!! My Nomad may well be the very first large 09 model to roll out in the whole of Oz. Im thinking of going a white frame with black and gold accessories but anno slate would of been my number one choice.

The big question is which shock to go for given that I probably wont be able to afford a shock upgrade in the near future???

At this stage Im leaning towards the DHX Air as I will be using the bike for a wide range of riding and want to be able to tune the shock easily for XC or DH. I also am keen to keep the weight down so Im not going a coil despite the obvious performance advantage. Im not an extreme rider but I do weigh 235 pounds and will probably do drops up to 3 foot max.

What I dont know is whether the DHX Air is going to have the same mushy mid-stroke issues which plagued the previous Nomads given the shock rate changes on the rejigged VVP2 when combined with the improved damping of the 09 DHX Air???

I also own a BLT2 and have been wondering about the need for adjustable bottom out resistance on VPP2 bikes in general. Despite my Blur having an oversized air-can on its RP23 shock there appears to be no mid-stroke mushiness but interestingly I frequently bottom out the suspension on fairly moderate terrain.

Does 09 Nomad have similar suspension characteristics to the Blur LT2 and will the DHX Air's adjustable bottom out resistance be useful feature on either of these bikes???

All opinions are welcome and thanks in advance.

·
emtb.pl
879 Posts
It should be very simmilar to the LT2 but we will know it when you ride it:) mine will arrive in March:(
I'd go DHXAir between these two but definietly DHXcoil with your weight. Lt2 feels so much better with a coil. Mybye not as much as the older nomad or the LT1 but still way better.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
krolik said:
It should be very simmilar to the LT2 but we will know it when you ride it:) mine will arrive in March:(
I'd go DHXAir between these two but definietly DHXcoil with your weight. Lt2 feels so much better with a coil. Mybye not as much as the older nomad or the LT1 but still way better.
Its a fair point

·
Registered
24 Posts
ive heard really good things about the Monarch. its pretty light and reliability seems very good...

but, at 235 lbs? plus clothing and gear and a camel back?? thats really pushing an air shock. even the dhx. and seeing as how you already have the BLT2 with the rp23... why not go a bit burly on the Nomad? otherwise, arent you going to have two very similar bikes?? you lucky little thing you!! haha!

im really keen to hear back from you on the differences in ride between the two.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
madsam said:
ive heard really good things about the Monarch. its pretty light and reliability seems very good...

but, at 235 lbs? plus clothing and gear and a camel back?? thats really pushing an air shock. even the dhx. and seeing as how you already have the BLT2 with the rp23... why not go a bit burly on the Nomad? otherwise, arent you going to have two very similar bikes?? you lucky little thing you!! haha!

im really keen to hear back from you on the differences in ride between the two.
Re "similar bikes..."

Im running a 140mm fork on my BLT2 and its definably has got that lively trail bike feel. On paper the Nomad and BLT have chalk and cheese geometry but It would be nice have a big bump gobbler for DH days. Im running a coil 36 Van fork on the Nomad so DHX coil would probably be a better match.

On the other hand it would be' nice to keep the Nomad 30-ish pounds for trail riding and just change the an air shocks settings and pop on my DH wheel-set for gravity assist riding.

Re *you lucky little thing you!!"

The way I see it having the BLT is a necessity because it fits my ability and favorite trails perfectly. But the Nomad is a luxury because its way more bike than I can utilize ...

... but man it will rip on the down hills!!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
At that weight, I´d go DHX Coil - no question asked. You´ll especially appreciate the coil fork combined with the coil shock.

I loved my Reign X with a 36 Float and a DHX air - I am 150lbs though.
But it felt strange with a Van 36 and the DHX air.

I liked it again with a Van 36 and a Roco Coil.

I think it´s all about balanced suspension.

Also, what´s half a pound when you´re a bigger guy anyway? (no offense implied)

Greetings Znarf

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
krolik said:
This is the wisdom that I needed few years to acknowledge with my 205-215 w/o gear but it makes your live so much easier when you accept it:)
Thats the problem, it could be the pound that broke the camels back because I allready have point one of a tonne to lug up the hills...

Seriously, a lightweight wheel-set is makes a bigger difference climbing than a heavy shock so maybe I will go the the DHX coil and put the money I save on the Air version towards a nice Crossmax SX wheel-set...

and before some says it, despite my size, Im not a wheel masher so I can easily run the SXes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Get coil (CCDB, Roco or DHX) + RCS Ti spring - having light bike is very nice, but nice suspension action is MUCH better thing. :) Oh, and Your right - get light wheelset, that's possibly the part where weight difference can be felt the most. SXes are nice (I had 08 and liked it a lot).

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
serhij said:
Get coil (CCDB, Roco or DHX) + RCS Ti spring - having light bike is very nice, but nice suspension action is MUCH better thing. :) Oh, and Your right - get light wheelset, that's possibly the part where weight difference can be felt the most. SXes are nice (I had 08 and liked it a lot).
The bike shop is going to let me trial the Monarch for a couple of rides but the DHX coil is sounding more and more a good idea.

Alas, it appears that the Nomad is not going to make it for Xmas. I think its sitting in a shipping container at the Port of Brisbane awaiting customs clearance. Ironically my Nomad"s shipping was delayed due to the USA Thanks Giving holiday and now delayed once again in Australia due to our local bunch of holidays so I have heaps of time to ride but no Nomad to go riding on. :madman:

·
Registered
456 Posts
krolik said:
It seems Poland as a nation prefers springs:)
greets:)
Well - yes and no :). Yes, as I had 5 SC bikes and all of them were coil sprung. Only for Nomad I had Swinger 4-way Air as a backup (primary shock was DHX 5.0 Coil ;-) ).
Now I don't have any SC bike - joined Turner Homers crowd.
No - since on my RFX I've checked DHX 5.0 Air, DHX 5.0 Coil, Roco TST R Coil and now I have Roco R Air. Roco is the first air sprung shock I've seen and used that actually have coil like feel.
And finaly - Yes again, as I'm sure sooner or later I'll get myself CCDB or Avy. Coil. Ti. ;-)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
other aardvark said:
The bike shop is going to let me trial the Monarch for a couple of rides but the DHX coil is sounding more and more a good idea.

Alas, it appears that the Nomad is not going to make it for Xmas. I think its sitting in a shipping container at the Port of Brisbane awaiting customs clearance. Ironically my Nomad"s shipping was delayed due to the USA Thanks Giving holiday and now delayed once again in Australia due to our local bunch of holidays so I have heaps of time to ride but no Nomad to go riding on. :madman:
Nomads been built up today and after a bit of reserch and contacting new Nomad 2 owners I am going with ...

you will just have to wait and see :D

ps. is it about time to start a "LETS SEE THOSE 09 NOMADS" thread?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.