Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have some experience with an 09 Marz 44 TST2? Good, bad, so-so? I'm building a XC bike and looking at a few different forks.
Thanks,
Chris

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
A friend of mine has one. It performs pretty well and he only had one problem due to a faulty o-ring in the TST2 cartridge. He fixed it pretty quickly (Marzocchi's are very easy to worth with) and now it has been running problem free for quite a while. Oil changes take 20 minutes and the cartridge, although doesn't work as good as the RC3, is quite simple and compilant.

What other choices do you have?

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
He is getting the fork for cheeeeaaaap, so I don't know about your last statement. About having Qcontrol issues, well, definitely I've seen a vast improvement in QC for 2009, and the fork is so easy to work with that anyone can rebuild it.

TST2 does lack as a damper when you push it enough performance-wise, but there are ways to modify the damper into a better shim damper.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I have no idea what he's getting the fork for, I was simply going off what I usually see them sell for. Anyway, if you look around, there have been quite a few issue with 2009 zokes, and people are really hoping they have the issues fixed for 2010. I don't like I fork a need to open up the damper and adjust it to get decent performance out of it.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Well, I always try to get my stuff working as best as they can physically can, that's why I crack open my fork and shock and see how they work and what can be improved, but yeah, there may be better forks out there for the MRSP of the 44, but for the price he is getting it I doubt there is.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
I have an 09 44ata (not the micro version). After 1 season (~1000 miles) of moderate xc use and regular oil changes, the air spring and tst2 cartridges are blown. It's going back to Marz today.

JZ

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Does anybody know if the TST2 mod will work on the 44? Seems like it would but the thread referenced talks about the 55.

My choices are pretty limited because I need a 490mm ish AC fork with V-Brake studs. I'm not finding many that meet this spec. I do have a line on a 2010 Manitou Super w/the Absolute damper and MARS air spring. But it costs about $150 more than the Zoke 44.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
I'm fairly biased in that I like Manitou forks, but you might really want to consider it. They generally have good technology (aside from SPV in forks :bluefrown:) and light. Which model Manitou is it?

I'm not certain, but the TST2 mod should work, as I believe all the TST2 dampers use the same setup.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
I was told the shim mod will work with the 44. I'm going to give it a try if Marz fixes my fork under warranty. If not, I'm moving on, probably to Rock Shox. The thing that bugs me the most about Marz is that they won't release any service instructions to their customers. The owner's manual doesn't even include instructions on how to change the oil! Rock Shox make all the service manuals available and even has how-to videos on line.

JZ

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the Zoke 44 TST2. It is very good within it it's range. A good deal for the money and adjustable/rebuildable. So far it is very smooth, verrrrrrry smooth. I probably want a faster cycle over fast rough stuff. We will see. Good product, no question about that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.