Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
B2
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm going to buy 2009 Epic marathon. Cant decide on carbon or alum. Except for the fork and bottom bracket the parts specs are the same for the two bikes. big price difference though. Anyone know the weight difference between the alloy frame and the carbon frame?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmmmmm...... I would seriously spend some time on both bikes. Don't know the exact weight difference but I would almost bet its within a half pound, considering '08 models were similar. The alum. is pretty light and can probably take more of a beating.

Also... do some homework on those forks if you haven't already.... I know the Reba has a rebound knob that is tough to get to. And the Speci has it's set-up problems as well.

I think the carbon is too stiff, feels sketchy, but if you like to race......

Cheers

·
B2
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning toward the carbon but the alum has the RS Sid and is lots less expencive. I don't know about the future shock and what problems might develop with it, but it does have a 5 year warranty. I dont think I will be able to ride both.

·
Registered
50 Posts
OH ya, sorry, meant to say SID, same thing though, the rebound knob is recessed in the fork leg.... too bad you can't test ride both....

Also, keep in mind, higher resale value with the alum. model because people can upgrade that stuff. The Speci. stuff is proprietary.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I believe the carbon will frame will be in the region of 200g lighter and is also incredibly stiff. It also soaks up the rough stuff better due to it's very nature. Carbon is certainly not sketchy to ride and also very strong. If you can afford it go with the Carbon, I would as I think you will regret it if you don't. As for the Speci suspension parts they are great and any problems appear to be coming to an end. You also get the 5 year warranty. The Speci forks are so stiff if my S120's are anything to go by and the best I have ever ridden. From what I have seen the resale value on the carbon bikes with propriety parts is incredibly good. It basically comes down to finance but if you have the money in place for the carbon, why not treat yourself..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah, I think that the resale value is going to be higher with the carbon. more desirable because of the reasons above.

as for the s120 fork, I can't say anything bad about it. It rides very well and it is just as plush as any 4-5" fork I've ridden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.