Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a new '09 Honda Fit and wanted to see what options I have for transporting mountain bikes inside the car.

I have a 17" Specialized Rockhopper.

With the rear seats folded flat, will the bike fit with the front wheel left on, if I lay the bike on its side?

If I remove the front wheel, would the bike fit, if I wanted it to stand up. Sometimes, I would be transporting two bikes (other is a 15" Specialized) and I believe this method is the only way I could transport two bike inside the Fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bring the bike to the dealership and try it out. That's how you'll know for sure. Even if somebody has a 17" bike that will fit in their Honda Fit, it doesn't mean yours will. When I considered the Fit, I had to be sure that my ice hockey goalie bag would fit. So I took it with me and tried it in both the Prius and the Fit.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,310 Posts
I dunno about laying the bike down with both wheels on (it might fit), but certainly with the front wheel off it'll fit. I put my Med 03 FSR and my wife's S 05 Rockhopper in the back upright on fork clamps. Plenty of ceiling clearance, but getting them in through the gate requires a little bit of leaning for mine (long seatpost).

Basically, keep in mind that the biggest advantage to this vehicle is its height. It's fairly narrow and it's not all that long. On both bikes I carry, the rear wheel needs to fit in the gap between the front seats. This is on an 07 Fit, but I don't think they made major structural changes to the 09. If they added a center console, that might muddy the waters on squeezing bikes in.

FWIW, you can probably also fit the bike with the rear seats folded up, too, if you need to divide your cargo space for some reason. This would also be front-wheel off due to the narrowness of the car. Just look up pictures of other people's Fits in the forum. The hatchback discussion is good, but there are other, earlier discussions, too.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
Here are how a couple bikes fit in the back of an 09 Fit. Mine is a medium sized Intense Slopsestyle (the red one), and the blue one is a small Intense 5.5. I am very impressed how well bikes fit into the back of this car! :thumbsup:

Oh, and the car is really fun to drive, especially when the road gets twisty. :D

Attachments

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
brianr34 said:
Thanks for posting the pictures. I like the fact that I could put two bikes in the Fit. If you only needed to haul one bike, could you leave the front tire on and lay the bike down?
I haven't tried a single mountain bike in there yet (I almost always ride with my girlfriend). But many times I have carried one or two 24" BMX bikes without removing the wheels.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
brianr34 said:
Thanks for posting the pictures. I like the fact that I could put two bikes in the Fit. If you only needed to haul one bike, could you leave the front tire on and lay the bike down?
No.

Absolutely not. Not an adult 26 inch wheeled bike.

If you were willing to lay the front passenger seat back, then maybe you could pull it off, but the bike would pretty much take up the entire car besides the driver's seat.

There is just barely enough length behind the front seats to stand a bike up without a front wheel. If it's a large bike, or a 29er, expect the back tire to stick between the 2 front seats about 3-6 inches. With the front wheel on, it would be very difficult to maneuver the bike into the fit. Even with the giant back hatch, I have to lean my small 26er bike 45degrees to fit the seatpost thru the door. The interior ceiling is several inches taller, but I recommend using quick release seat post clamps to ease the process. You should buy cheap fork mounts that you can bolt onto a piece of plywood.

The Fit ads used to show a bike sitting across the floor of the back seats, and that set-up looked really convenient, but alas, even my small bike is too long with the front wheel off to fit across the floor of the back seating.

I still have to say the Fit works great for bikes. I've had my '07 for 18 months and almost 20,000 miles. So far, no problems other than regularly scraping the front plastic piece that hangs below the bumper. I have hauled alot of big stuff in my fit including nursery plants, furniture and 10 days of MTB and camping gear for 2. My gas mileage is just barely above 30mpg although about 7-8 thousand of those miles were with 15% ethanol blend.

Due to mud 10 months a year, I use a hitch mounted Thule T2 rack, but in the peak of summer, I throw the bikes inside, and it's alot safer if i want to stop for groceries or burritos.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.