Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do yall think of the 09 GT force 2.0?? (for those of u that have one) I am getting one for christmas. Men's large and i am 5'8 5'9 and the guy said he was 5'6 and it fit him so i got it..... this kind of makes me nervouse but i can fit on my dad's 22'' hardtail with the seat all the way down. should i be worried.... i hope it fits which it should but if not i will have to sell her and find something else which i dont want to. i got it for 1200 shipped brand new. this was a good deal right?? it retailed for 2300 last year and some others go fot 1500 and 1700 on ebay. i know its a ton of questions but help would be appreciated...... thanks! i have been lurking around the site for almost a year now so this is my first post! :)

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Yes you should worry....

fit is THE most important part of bike purchase. Make sure the cockpit fits, that is...with your butt on the saddle and hands on the bars, you should feel the bike was made just for you! Not too upright, not too far forward with too much weight on your hands.

If you don't get that part right, the bike will be as much fun as a new pair of shoes that don't fit; in other words, you won't ride it much, if at all.

Take your time, get the fit right using the ETT - effective top tube length as your deciding factor. You height is only part of the equation, your torso length and arms also must be considered. Generally speaking, you probably need a medium, but until you get on the bike, you'll never know for sure.

Never mind what "some guy said", he isn't worth listening to. If the bike arrives and doesn't fit, before you get it dirty, send it back and seek one that does fit correctly.

Jim

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
im 5'7, the medium force felt almost too small for me. has a 23 inch tt, which is usually spot on for me, but it felt small anyway.

the seat tube is only 0.6 inches taller on the large, and the tt is 23.6. its really not that much larger than a medium.

id be surprised if you couldnt get comfortable on that bike, fit wise.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One Pivot said:
im 5'7, the medium force felt almost too small for me. has a 23 inch tt, which is usually spot on for me, but it felt small anyway.

the seat tube is only 0.6 inches taller on the large, and the tt is 23.6. its really not that much larger than a medium.

id be surprised if you couldnt get comfortable on that bike, fit wise.
thats what i was thinking.... i was holding my breath for a second there:eek: . thanks a ton!!!... the bike should arrive the 24th:D .... ill keep yall posted on how everything goes and put pics up. thanks again!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I'll second that the ETT on this bike sounds like it should work for you. I have a 17" HT with an ETT of 23.25 and it fits like a glove.

Wost case scenario, you can always drop to a shorter stem to get comfy.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update* i was supposed to be on my door step yesterday and found out late last night that it was sent to the wrong house!!!! but everything was worked out and were picking it up tomorrow.... thank god the guy that got it called the seller to notify him but what i dont get is that the guy who it was sent to signed for it then called to let the seller know that it was a mistake.... it was like he planned on keeping it then realized it was christmas and called......im super lucky cause i would have been out 1200 which i have found out was an amazing deal on the bike as other shops and online stores sell em for 1600-1800. so tomorrow is basically my christmas ha

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys!
I dont want to thread jack, but at the same time i dont want to create a new thread because i hate clutter and recurring questions/answers in different threads. =)
Now on to the thread jack....err...question. (had a similar post on gt forum)
After a lot of research online, and short 10 min test drive I decided i want a 2009 gt force 2.0. The only problem is the geometry. I read on the gt website that stand over on the small is 27.7inches and 27.6 inches for the extra small. The medium GT avalanche ive been riding has a stand over of 28.9 inches and a 22.7" top tube, which was too big for me. So i figured i would be ok with either a small or extra small. When i got to the store i stood over the small force and noticed my nuts resting on the top tube, all of the reviews online said that it had a lot of stand over clearance compared to other bikes the same size. so i was shocked to find that i didnt even clear the top tube. Im 5'6" 150-155lbs, should i just suck it up and ride the xs force with limited stand over clearance? Or should i keep looking for a better fitting bike? Keep in mind, the rest of the bike fit me awesome, and i was already used to not having much stand over clearance in the first place.
thanks!

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
you dont ride a bike with your nuts touching the top tube, so dont worry about standover ;) its a nearly useless measurement.

at 5'6 you'd need a medium. riding a extra small would be like riding a clown bike. you might do *ok* on a small, but you'll more than likely be cramped.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One Pivot said:
you dont ride a bike with your nuts touching the top tube, so dont worry about standover ;) its a nearly useless measurement.

at 5'6 you'd need a medium. riding a extra small would be like riding a clown bike. you might do *ok* on a small, but you'll more than likely be cramped.
i already posted where war machine posted first but i forgot about this..... i agree because if u get a small or x small you will be riding Extremely Close to your handlebars and it will be very uncomfortable. as i said im 5'8'' and my large fits perfect. u probably just have a really short inseem. a medium will fit u and u wont regret it. i love mine and havent even gotten a trail ride yet because of some problems with the fork

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I'm not sure that I'd agree with one pivot but if the rest of the bike fit then it sounds good to me. Did you try the small to see what it fely like? You "should" be Ok w/ SO though. Especially if you have saggy balls.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hahaha! thanks for your reply...my buddy said the same thing in the bike store....but it was more like "wait...you ride your bike wit your nuts on the frame?" hahaha and he was serious!
The small that i test rode felt really good, on my avalanche i feel like im reaching too far forward, i liked being a little more upright. ill test ride a medium v.s. a small when i go back later this week.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
***Update****
okay so the bike is ready but the fox 32 float R's rebound adjust is broken!!!:( just my luck but fox is closed till the 1st or 4th. the guy i purchased it from had no knowledge of this and is going to pay whatever it takes to fix it. so i will have to wait probably 2 weeks now to get my christmas present......Awesome now im stuck at home starring at my background on my computer aka gt force 2.0 ha and be on this site all the time

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hopefully if not then the guy i bought it from says he will make sure that he takes care of it. so if it has to be replaced im getting a marzocchi bomber 55ata 125-165mm so ill have a mix of a sanction and a force so it will be a Sorce....hahaha then fox is just too expensive to completley replace so he said he would pay for the marzocchi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.