Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TITUS please HELP!!!

I have tried sending 2 Emails to [email protected], and [email protected] and both have bounced back. when i call the message tells me to use the support address.
here is the email.

My 09 FTM's Shock Bolt broke at some point on my last ride. The one that links the shock to the swing link, and it seems to have damaged the carbon swing link where the bolt passes through it. There are cracks around the bolt hole and the threaded side. It also seems to have damaged the shock spacers as they seem to be loose in the shock's eyelet. Please Help! I have attached some photos of the damage. I have a series of rides this week leading up to one of the biggest NEMBA events in New England on Sunday, "The Wicked Ride of the East" that my NEMBA chapter has been planing to attend for a while. I will try to call in the AM tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
How I got a hold of them is stay on the phone another recording came on prompting me to a voice mailbox, left a message with my phone #, I got a call from them about 2 hours later.

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
Check in your owners manual for the size of the reducer bushings for your shock. Check to see if you can get one from your LBS or overnight from Fox. Most hardware stores have good 12.9 metric bolts (not sure which size bolt that is M8?)
Not sure how damaged the carbon swingarm is, but you can try new reducers and a bolt.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yep, bent two of those myself. I didn;t like the way the bolt is counted on for a shear load like that especially since it is spread out over such a large span. A steal pin with buttong heads on either side would be much better.

Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still no word from Titus, I called them earlier this year about the light rail problem and they answer emails and the phone very promptly, emails with in the hour and the phone on the first ring, whats happening with them. I like my FTM a lot and want it to be fixed. does anyone out there know if there are spare parts that I could get from someone other than Titus?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Things like that rocker are a titus only part. You're stuck waiting but I'm sure once they get ahold of you it will be sent out next day.

·
Jamin, Applesause, No?
708 Posts
Why is the 1 bushing threaded? Seems like that would not allow for proper movement in the rear suspension? Is this how all 2009 frames come?

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,783 Posts
Senor StrongBad said:
Why is the 1 bushing threaded? Seems like that would not allow for proper movement in the rear suspension? Is this how all 2009 frames come?
Those threads in the reducer are from contact with the bolt. That happens a lot when the bolt is not torqued to spec or the wrong size reducer is used.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Moral of the story... use three piece hardware with steel pins whenever possible.

Sucks, bro... specially the rocker thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the spacer got threaded when it snapped. the M8 bolt only had a 31mm Shoulder which put the thread to shoulder transition right in line with the shock eyelet. Titus should have used a M8 bolt with a 45 - 50 mm Shoulder so that there would only be threads at the very end of the bolt where it threads into the carbon link.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,783 Posts
malen said:
the spacer got threaded when it snapped. the M8 bolt only had a 31mm Shoulder which put the thread to shoulder transition right in line with the shock eyelet. Titus should have used a M8 bolt with a 45 - 50 mm Shoulder so that there would only be threads at the very end of the bolt where it threads into the carbon link.
That's a wide span to be using the hat style reducers. I would switch to the three piece reducers either from Rock Shox, Cane Creek or Marzocchi. Both the Rock Shox and Cane Creek use hard anodized aluminum and Marzocchi uses SST.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a call from Titus and they are sending out the replacement parts. It was touch and go for a little while but Titus puul through. Thanks for all the responses. Im looking in to getting some M8 bolts with the 50mm shoulders.:thumbsup:

T.F.L.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Good deal. I thought they would have made a running change in that also. Any one else have any info on the newer models?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yea, i'd like to know if there is any updates from Titus also. After thinking about this problem, i checked my FTM and it seems that the shock bolt is a little short, because it doen't come out flush with the other side ( it was short about 3mm) of the other side threaded hole. I checked my ti bolt collection and i found a 70mm ti 8mm bolt. It extends thru the other side about 5mm and that is were i screwed a 8mm nylock nut onto. You don't have to torque the bolt down very much (about 8" pounds) into the carbon link because the nylock nut locks the bolt onto the carbon link on that side. Hope this helps others.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Warp said:
Moral of the story... use three piece hardware with steel pins whenever possible.

Sucks, bro... specially the rocker thing.
Definitely. A 3 piece system stops the bolt taking any bending load and stops them bending or breaking.
It's possible to make a 3 piece steel hardware set with comparable weight to an aluminium two piece as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello Malen:
Sad to read about your experience with your Titus FTM. That is most unfortunate to learn from such a high-end frame builder. I do wish to thank you for your posting, for you helped to save my brand new FTM and perhaps my bacon had it completely failed while on the trail.
This is a brand new build so while giving it a thorough inspection I noticed that in addition to the short main shock bolt (i.e., the threads only penetrate 1/2 of the bell crank link-arm collar) the two bolts that connect the link-arm to the seat-stays only penetrate 1/2 of the seat-stay beam.
Since these bolts transmit the loads as a shearing force to the composite members the failure makes sense if the bolts are too short.
Questions: 1, Did you ever receive the correct main shock bolt from Titus? If yes then what are the correct dimensions of bolt?
2, Did you check the bolts going into the seat-stays? If yours only penetrate ~50% did you also check this with Titus?

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Ditto....

rider42 said:
PUSH sold me a reducer when I had my shock tuned. It has proven much more robust than the original. Try them.
Ditto..... a million times!!!

I got the PUSH version for my ML a year an a half ago. The single piece aluminum reducer (with an end shroud) has proven itself invaluable.

I recommend that everyone make this upgrade.....

The best $9 I've ever spent on my ride.

Regareds,

EndUser

·
Registered
230 Posts
EndUser said:
Ditto..... a million times!!!

I got the PUSH version for my ML a year an a half ago. The single piece aluminum reducer (with an end shroud) has proven itself invaluable.

I recommend that everyone make this upgrade.....

The best $9 I've ever spent on my ride.

Regareds,

EndUser
I just checked with push & they do not have them available, is that where you got it?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts