Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
why not go the whole hog and put an 888 on the flux instead of a ghey 140 mm talus with poncey 15mm thru axle....

in case your math is poor you are thinking of putting a fork with 50mm or 2" or 50% more than the prescribed travel on the bike...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
150-Not!

O.K.
So it seems (from some of the smart ass responses.:p This Turner crowd sure has changed over the years:bluefrown: ), the 150 TALAS idea was a little overkill. How about a 140 TALAS?, as the new Spot has seen a few 160's up front. Just tired of my 32lb 5er and the over 40 birthday's set back:D My reference to the DW rear link was that the new link has the plushness to handle a longer travel fork.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Well do the MATH

Spot is a Trail/AM bike the HT has been strengthened and gusseted to support the 160mm forks for 09, even earlier Spots had the downtube gusset, and its intended purpose was obvious!

The flux has a a2c of 480mm [dwl] so even adding a 140mm fork is stupid, its an XC bike doh!

So of course you're going to get stupid responses to non sensequal questions like this you're just setting yourself up for it, its basic's!

No one says you can't do it but I'm sure even DT wouldn't expect you to ask him to warranty it, common! Though he'd probably still look after you!

120mm max fork would be best if you wanted to trail it, maybe 130mm but then you might as well go to the Spot and grow a leg:thumbsup:
http://www.turnerbikes.com/09flux.html

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
nuthin much has changed tarzan. im not about to go back and research all yer posts in here but i seem to recall this type of question, this type of answer and this type of response bein a trend with you. please pardon me if im wrong. im often wrong. but really man, you didnt think ya wouldnt get a ton of sass for this idea?

a 6" am fork on a 4" xc frame is way more than a little overkill and the 5.5" fork is not any better of a idea. youve gotta know that without askin. this has nuthin to do with the quality of travel and everything to do with the quantity. like ta says, its simply not built to handle the laundry list of excessive loads that would come with such a massively mismatched combo. like moose's pretty golden graph shows, it not built to handle with the excessive a2c length. key word here being "excessive".

over the past 4 years, the flux has been designed around and for a 4" (100mm) travel fork with a relitively short a2c although many of us have had excellent results with a talus between 80 and 120mm. this is a spec not only embraced by turner but suggested to me by dt back in '05 when i built mine.

yer lookin at .78 lb increase to run the 150 talus over a f100 and 0.9 lb decrease between the '09 spot and flux so its a wash anyway. if you insist on overbuildin a flux to be some kinda fresh answer to tired spot, we will laugh. we will point. we will taunt. it will break. everyone will remind you endlessly about this convo and it will hang over yer head like a big green cloud of stench for all eternity. and after all that, if yer not in the hospital for some extended stay when the head tube rips off at the very wost moment, you will have no warranty and i wouldnt expect turner to offer ya more than a $500 trade in value for yer brand new $2500 frame. then theres all the residual damage to the rest of the bike that wont be covered.

i dont intend to come off as a total dick here though im sure it looks that way. i hope the above shows ya why this is such a very bad idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.