Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that its 2009, who has the dwl dhr in stock? can i use a coil sid with a u turn cart to save weight and still get 80 - 200mm of super plush big hit travel? how will it climb as thats my fave thing to do on a ride. xc use only, no big air cuz i dont race but this will dbl as my whistler bike every other weekend. im on a budget so i want to build it mega lite with xo twist shifters, dura ace braze on ft der, campy record 11 spd r der and a hollow pin wipperman bmx chain with saint high flange ta track hubs and bonty bxc 2 hoops. and finally, will my well used 7 spd lx cassette work? what would be the best studded 700c x 20 road tire for my build?

ive seen lots of you guys with custom paint jobs. who does all those cool air brushed turner logos on everyones frames? do you just paint over the old ones and the clear coat? i think yellow and black bee stripes would look hot on the anno green dhr i saw the pics of here a few months ago.

happy new year! dont forget to spend the next 12 months ridin yer bikes and laughin whenever possible.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
If you want something really versatile...
You should look to run a really light set of 29er wheels (think carbon) on there if you keep the tire size down to around a 42 without rub. That'll allow you to switch to 700x23 slicks for group rides on the road.

Your choice of fork should work well since you'll be able to dial it down and lock it out for the road. That thing will be a climbing beast with that SID dialed down to 80! I was initially thinking SuperD, but with a build like that you could end up with a great XC race bike.

More weight savings...
Looking at the linkage and suspension mount points on the 09 there seems to be alot of places that could be drilled out to cut some weight down. Plus you could probably get some really cool patterns going with the drill holes.

As far as colors go - I'd go raw to save the weight - no need to have that PC weighing you down!

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Jeeze CC.....

thinking about replacing the Grey Ghost already!?!?!? And to think you just put the Boxxer on it!

Ya know, if I didn't know you better and thought you were serious, I'd have to say something rude to you.

But here's a thought. With the 29er wheels and a RP23 in the rear and the sid up front you could even lock her up and ride it on RAGBRAI this year! Just add a set of 700X23 Hardcases and you'd be in buisness! That'd sure be a do it all bike. :thumbsup: :crazy:

Good Dirt

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
cactuscorn said:
now that its 2009, who has the dwl dhr in stock? can i use a coil sid with a u turn cart to save weight and still get 80 - 200mm of super plush big hit travel? how will it climb as thats my fave thing to do on a ride. xc use only, no big air cuz i dont race but this will dbl as my whistler bike every other weekend. im on a budget so i want to build it mega lite with xo twist shifters, dura ace braze on ft der, campy record 11 spd r der and a hollow pin wipperman bmx chain with saint high flange ta track hubs and bonty bxc 2 hoops. and finally, will my well used 7 spd lx cassette work? what would be the best studded 700c x 20 road tire for my build?
I hear there is a lack of stoke on that bike, so you might want to order some extra stoke when placing your order.

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
duh! its not like i wanna sacrifice the ride just to keep it light. the trick will be to find a curnutt in a 6.5 x 1.5. that should also keep the b/bkt nice and low huh? perfect!

nice call squash! ill have to drill and tap the frame and fork for racks and extra h2o cages. maybe ta has some carbon aero cages he isnt usein. im done with trailers for now.

shtnfart: im a ooooooooold school bmx punk so im down with drillin the crap outta already super light road parts. hadnt considered the linkage though. sweet!

rd: extra stoke? isnt this thing terribly overpriced already? it should come with spare stoke and a reach around. maybe larry, chad, dave or rick will throw some in with the deal. stoke that is. if not ill buy some used stoke from jaybo. i hear his old spot has a ton left over.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
cactuscorn said:
duh! its not like i wanna sacrifice the ride just to keep it light. the trick will be to find a curnutt in a 6.5 x 1.5. that should also keep the b/bkt nice and low huh? perfect!

nice call squash! ill have to drill and tap the frame and fork for racks and extra h2o cages. maybe ta has some carbon aero cages he isnt usein. im done with trailers for now.

shtnfart: im a ooooooooold school bmx punk so im down with drillin the crap outta already super light road parts. hadnt considered the linkage though. sweet!

rd: extra stoke? isnt this thing terribly overpriced already? it should come with spare stoke and a reach around. maybe larry, chad, dave or rick will throw some in with the deal. stoke that is. if not ill buy some used stoke from jaybo. i hear his old spot has a ton left over.
WTF

Ive never had carbon roadie CAGES :eek:

I did have some roadie cages once they weren't even light, they were blue, you'd liked that, not sure I got em anymore though don't remember seeing em anywhere for a longs time! matching team Mapei colors, GHEY I know, I was once GHEY but least I didn't wear the team colors I was very and always was conservative on the road bike, not like the rest of them wankers :D

I do have a Fizik Airone WC LTD carbonium rails carbon shell flex wing all that ****, my arse road it for awhile it held up to me course I was only 83kgs then of ripping muscle :p
This will bring yer DHR down to around 32kg..

Looks a little Phallic eek

My bike wasn't however Cadel Evans replica, I let my bike and my riding do the talking not my fat anus :D

I rode for me not for trophies, that's my story and I'm sticking to it:p

Phagy GHEY carbon road water bottles, I think you'll be need on of these for your new DHR it will be lighter than your coil SID XC HL build :D
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=479012

Anyways I'm all jiving and shagging **** what was this post all in aid of stirrer!

You need to get laid I think:D

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
cactuscorn said:
im on to yer little secret ta. may as well come outta the closet or at least bring the box of yer prized and beloved h2o cages out of the closet.
My closet is old bike box's and what happens's in the field stays in the field!

besides that's all that's all that remains aparts from some certs some jerseys nicks rest is all gone, I won't get back on a road bike in this art of the country again not unless I do want to end up in a box, plus its just no fun around here, roads are full of glass and crap, over it!

Way down south maybe who knows a steel Italian old school lugged puppy with some classic lines no CARBON LOL I might be tempted to get the lungs going, more likely a SS steel hardtail to get fitness going so I can ride around the farm roads will do to avoid the yuppies in the SUVs fookers I'll throw rotten eggs at the ones who speed and pollute :D

So you likey the saddle think its you, got potential its lean narrow and long, comfy too, do ya a good deal :D

Might be able to throw in a skin tight blue top just for you almost brand new Casstelli Italian UMMM yeah baby you know it, probably not skin tight for you, probably just a nice loose fit, it would be a nice med/large I was cut then!

hehe!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
cactuscorn said:
there was a day my shape was other than round. oct '95, just before the big crash when everything went to shyt.
Dang looking in good shape there CC but them lycra sure looks scary, I never like to comment on another guy in lycra :D

I refrain from picc's of me in Lycra, Just cause they don't exist I never wore Lycra never I was born in beach shorts and baggis or cargo and beefy tee's :D

This was raced in a couple of times never tight fitting LOL

I raced an 80km race after 2hrs sleep drinking all night after a friends birthday, shouldn't even driven to the start line, 8am start eek, 300 riders it was a 20 year anniversary race, had to be done first 40km I had the dry horrors, I might have puked on it along the way, thankfully one of my water bottles washed the it away! I chased 4 riders down to the finish line on my own, I think for 20 odd kms I had them in my sights thinking I'll never get em but closer I got, I think they were as surprised as me, bit rude to pass em just on th line but I felt I'd earned it! :p

I was alcohol fueled on the run home, head wind I lot them on the line came 91ist averaged 34km an hr I was stoked I got allot of peeps on that last 40km, that jersey was lucky for me! so was the bike, an awesome ride! and that was on average wheels too!

Mapei has never been off the coat hanger, it was only for show team Mapei Italian etd

No more closet box stuff hidden away :skep:

Ps cool dog which one is that or who is that, and do you have a Mullet there, nice hat, youre a true roadie there CC, are you a tradie there!

·
12,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just some cool pooch i met in a town called comfort texas, outside of a damn decent bbq joint durrin a 2 week road tour of the hill country i had trained 3 months for. yeah, i was in very good shape that year.

thats my old huge brimmed cannon williams honda hat. light, foldable and comfy. perfect for back pocket roadie use. there may have been a mini mullet hidden under there. nuthin too fancy.

i may have been a roadie that month but even in the middle of it, i never lost touch with my roots.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
cactuscorn said:
Homers are sooo picky. Good thing you are only buying a bike, and not a computer.

kreater said:
skin tight, check out this guy, just before his xc race:eek:
I didn't know they sold skinsuits as separate tops and bottoms.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Random Drivel said:
Homers are sooo picky. Good thing you are only buying a bike, and not a computer.

I didn't know they sold skinsuits as separate tops and bottoms.
If he was buying a puter what would you rec! Mac n Cheese with fries or build a WAN between all the homers in the US go full thin client Linux or Uniux based terabyte connections fibre optics to all home based units, wireless connections to mobile vechiculars and crackberrys for bikes of course with garmin GPS tracking so we can track all your riding in real time vimeo, sounds pretty rad :D

Geez don;t know about cost or bandwidth might cripple the telcos and the economy but thats stuffed anyways :D

Sounds good for a laugh, Sadasti could hook it all up at the puter end I could wire in all the routers and configure the multiplexers and SDH networks, splice the fibre's and dig he potholes! and build some trails just need the GC and 6mth quarantine for Maxxis :D oh an airfare, place to stay though I hear car living is getting popular just live out of the van with bike and dog woot woot:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.