Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a hardware kit to replace the worn ABC bushings on my 09 Altitude. The kit comes with all of the bearing and suspension bolts so I'm replacing the bearings as well but having a hard time getting the lower pivot bolt (just above the bottom bracket) out. I backed of the non-drive side allen bolt a few turns and tapped it and the main bolt did not budge. I hit it with a bigger hammer and it's not moving. The only thing that's moved are the threads on the drive side bolt, so I can't tighten the bolt back up now... it's a millimeter or so short of snug. Is there any trick to removing this bolt? I can spin it no problem, the lower bearings (originals) are double the width of the others so maybe the bolt is bonded to them and need some heat applied?
Thanks in advance for any help!

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Heat is a bad idea for the alloy bolt.

There's likely a bit of corrosion between the alloy bolt and the steel bearings, try putting a small amount of ammonia around the bolt to let it wick in to the gap, the ammonia will dissolve aluminium oxide but not the aluminium. It's like removing an alloy seat post from a steel frame.

When it goes back together, apply a liberal coating of synthetic type grease on the bolt to reduce the chances of corrosion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I used some ammonia and a lot of force with a hammer. Once past the first bearing it was still stuck in there so had to get a threaded rod long enough to drive it past the 2nd bearing... new bearings/bushings in tested and ready for todays island cup XC race on my comfy bike, my body took a beating on the hardtail last week!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts