Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't get either. They suck.

They are really a pain to set up, they constantly rub, modulation changes for no reason. Oh and they will sometimes just pull straight to the handlebar on without activating on long descents.

Also they are more expensive then Shimano XT's.

I got Juicys as part of the build kit on my bike and can't wait to change them, I don't trust them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ir12daveor said:
Don't get either. They suck.

They are really a pain to set up, they constantly rub, modulation changes for no reason. Oh and they will sometimes just pull straight to the handlebar on without activating on long descents.

Also they are more expensive then Shimano XT's.

I got Juicys as part of the build kit on my bike and can't wait to change them, I don't trust them.
Your brakes have air in them and need to be bled correctly, they just come like that from the factory sometimes. They're great brakes if set up and bled right.

·
Registered
102 Posts
CoryBike said:
Your brakes have air in them and need to be bled correctly, they just come like that from the factory sometimes. They're great brakes if set up and bled right.
My brakes have been bled numerous times. They might work cross country but definitely not all mountain, and the setup is still a pain in the a$$. I'll admit I'm a perfectionist who hates the slightest little bit of noise from my brakes, but My Shimano's on my last bike worked a treat.

I'm not the only one reporting these problems, 5 out of the 7 people I ride with who use Avids have similar problems, not all the same year or batch or brakes either so its not a faulty batch.

One of my mates had to constantly pump his brakes to have any braking power in a race last week, his brakes had been professionally bled. Another had the bar pull to the lever on a rocky descent high up in the alps. I've seen so many failure issues with these brakes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ir12daveor said:
My brakes have been bled numerous times. They might work cross country but definitely not all mountain, and the setup is still a pain in the a$$. I'll admit I'm a perfectionist who hates the slightest little bit of noise from my brakes, but My Shimano's on my last bike worked a treat.

I'm not the only one reporting these problems, 5 out of the 7 people I ride with who use Avids have similar problems, not all the same year or batch or brakes either so its not a faulty batch.

One of my mates had to constantly pump his brakes to have any braking power in a race last week, his brakes had been professionally bled. Another had the bar pull to the lever on a rocky descent high up in the alps. I've seen so many failure issues with these brakes.
sounds like your mechanic is the issue..

i've got juicy 5's and not a single issue.. couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
i've got '08 Juicy 5's and they are great brakes! Had slight rear warbble issue, but realighing the caliper to the rotor per Avid's procedure worked like a charm. Powerlful, relatively quiet and good modulation. Wicked stopping power on descents. I can't complain. My J5's have been great and they are getting better after a bit of break-in at about 120 ish miles on them so far.

The key is proper set up as many have mentioned above.

But reality is some people will never be happy with the Avids. Which is cool. Different strokes for different folks. I'm not one of them as mine work great and I maintain them as recommended.

cheers

(P.S. - I am eagerly waiting to see the Elixir CR's once available. Might upgrade to those next year. As good as my Juicys are, the Elixirs are supposed to be even better. Plus admittedly the black and red would look sweet on my bike - I know, big price to pay so will see...).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've run Juicy 7's on my Enduro since 06 (doing AM/FR/DH) and now have Juicy Ultimate's on my 08 Stumpy.

I have no complaints and love these bad boys. I only wish they hadn't changed the pad adjustment to a "tool-required" system vs. the knob on my 06s

·
Registered
934 Posts
Anyway...answering the OP's question. I just bought two sets for my bikes, both '08s. Avid "claims" to have shed 30 grams from the '07s. Not sure what else really, other than their internal stuff. Externals looks exactly the same. I believe in '07 they had changed the pad contact knob from plastic to metal.

Now OT, the first set went on great. So simple to set up and worked great for almost a month now. No complaints. Second set, not great. Rear brake very normal and powerful, front lever goes to bar. Waiting for my order for their bleed kit to come in. Ugh!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.