Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like my 2008 Van 36R forks on my Bottlerocket but I also have a set of unused 2006 66 RC2X 170mm travel.
Has anyone ridden both of these forks?
Which would be best for 2 weeks in Whistler?

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
The vanilla could take the cake in the plushness department, but the 66 travel is also pretty good, there's more of it, it's a downhill/freeride fork, it has bottomout/progression adjustment with the oil level, and all in all it's far better suited to abuse and agressive riding.

In any case, since you have two 66 RC2xs you could just switch out parts if they ever fail.

· Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I put the 66 on for whistler i'll lose a load of money when I need to sell it because it will be used (Whistlered!) at the moment it's brand new.
Is it that much better than the Fox Van to be worth it?

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
aye-aye said:
If I put the 66 on for whistler i'll lose a load of money when I need to sell it because it will be used (Whistlered!) at the moment it's brand new.
Is it that much better than the Fox Van to be worth it?
Well, the fox 36 series forks are not freeride or downhill forks persay. You can do some freeride and downhill on them, but they are not built as tough as a 66, and they lack one key feature that is good to have for downhill and freeride; with the 66 you can adjust the oil level to adjust the progression and bottom-out control. You can increase compression damping with the 36s, but it's not the same thing and it will decrease the suspension performance after a point. The 36 also has an internal adjustment for bottom-out, but it doesn't have an overall effect like the oil level in the 66 has. Will the vanilla take riding at whistler? Of course, it may not be as optimal with less travel and control, but it is done all the time. Given two identical bikes with those different forks, I'd take the one with the 66 for downhilling and freeride though in a heartbeat.

· Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,747 Posts
I had the same exact year 66 on my Bottlerocket. The RC2X 66 is a good match as it's only 10mm taller than a 36 and 10mm shorter than the current batch of FR single crowns. (Totem, new 66's ect.) It keeps the geometry nice and the front end low with plenty of travel and great stiffness! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, my RC2X was smooth as silk. Don't sell it, run it!

· Registered
6,864 Posts
Calidownhiller said:
Personally i think that 7 inches is way to much travel on a BR, and the 36 is gonna obviously be lighter and probably more plush, just less adjustable.
I vote 66. Their a-c is only 10mm higher isn't it?
I have a Van36R and I'm not finding them plush, even after a year of riding and fresh bath oil.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.