Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I just took home an 08 SJ elite last week. When I took it home and started playing around with the bike, I noticed the rotors were slightly rubbing against the brake. I took it to the LBS and they told me its pretty common for rotors to rub against the brake slightly but if it was really bothering me, they would warranty it.

Is this issue common? Would you guys warranty the rotor?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just took home my SJ Comp and the front rotor was doing the same thing. I was going to bring it in but haven't yet. I would be interested to hear others feedback on this. This is my first disc brake bike so it is new to me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
re: Should be easy adjustment.

Give it a couple of rides for the pads to completely seat themselves and then break in. If it is still doing it at that time - take it to the shop. They can ususally shim the brake calipers with small washers to fix the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jcc456 said:
Give it a couple of rides for the pads to completely seat themselves and then break in. If it is still doing it at that time - take it to the shop. They can ususally shim the brake calipers with small washers to fix the problem.
Ya, thanks for the feedback. I will also ride it a few more times to break them in. Hopefully, the problem solves itself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is nothing out of the ordinary...

It is very common for bikes to come out of the box slightly bent. We're talking a few millimeters each way. This often makes the brakes rub a little bit. It's not anything unique to specialized: just about every company will have a rotor every now and then that isn't as straight as it should be.

The shop you got your bike from should have one of these:

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=14&item=DT-2

This is all you need to straighten the rotor/stop the rubbing. They should be able to fix this without any warranty from specialized.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.