Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I'm looking into possibly replacing my current crankset (Truvativ ISOFlow), already have problems with it, and I have about 10 rides on it. It's currently at the shop getting an overhaul done already! Anyhow i'm not so knowledgeable on what would be a better choice considering there is only a $10 difference between the 2 cranksets (one is newer and one is older, but newer isn't always better), including bb. Any inputs welcome.

Also, anyone know care to explain to me real quick what differences there would be if my current 22/32/44T Truvativ would be from 26/36/48T Shimano LX? I guess there are different models with different "T"s, so should I just get the same number configuration as my current?

Bike: 2008 Giant XTC 2

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/1265/29356/

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was out riding yesterday and about 2 miles into the ride I get these symptoms through the drive train under load: rumbling, grinding, and some crazy noises (sorry it's hard to describe). I had to turn around and head back as I was by myself on a new trail that I have never ridden.

The guy at the shop I bought the bike from says dirt gets into the threads on the BB and creates this problem? Could I really be flexing the BB that much!? I'm 160lbs and just started getting back into riding after about 10yrs of being away.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
What you want, is a closeout deal on a Shimano M-580 LX Hollowtech II crankset.
I've had one of those on two bikes, over 4 years and it's been bombproof at Bootleg Canyon the whole time.
The SLX looks promising, but is unproven and the new LX is not even for mountain bikes anymore.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, that's kinda what I was thinking is going for the closeout deal on the LX crankset, but I've pulled back and decided i'll change it out once either my warranty is up and the crank craps out on me.

Thanks for your thoughts on the 2 crank sets. :thumbsup:

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
your problem is with your bottom bracket, not your cranks. If you're having problems with dirt getting in the bb area, changing your cranks will do absolutely nothing, other than cost you money. I would start by swapping out your bb. See if you can get an upgraded one.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read a few other posts about people with the Truvativ ISOFlow cranksets and wanting to upgrade the bottom brackets, but I guess it's some sort of OEM brand and not ugprade friendly. So thus having to swap out the entire crankset w/bb.

It's running ok so far, after the overhaul on the bb.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
the '08 LX Hollow-Tech II on my HiFi have been pretty much bullet proof so far... great value crankset imo

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have a 2008 SLX crank on my Karate Monkey cross bike, and I love it. Shifting with my (Jenson closeout) XTR front derailleur is nothing short of flawless, even uphill under load. I'm going to get another one to replace the Truvativ Isocrap currently on my MTB; I have had the MTB for years and rarely ride it because the crank throws the chain, even though there are no bent rings or buggerred teeth.

The 08 and 09 SLX crank is about as good as it gets for under $150. And it comes with the bottom bracket -- all good cranks do nowadays. They look really badass, too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.