Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Been a long time since I have posted on these forums.

Quick question, I'm looking at buying a used 08 Scalpel Team Replica. It comes with the Hollowgram BB30 SL with 29/44 teeth. I was wondering if it is possible to convert this crankset to a traditional triple chainring in the front, or would I have to buy a whole new crankset entirely?

Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
It is possible, you'll just have to get the triple spider and the chainrings, then adjust the front derailleur... You'll also need the tools to switch the spider (one to pull the driveside crankarm off, one to remove and re-install the spider's lockring) if you want to do it yourself. You can get the parts and tools from your Cannondale dealer or maybe on ebay but those cranksets are so wonderful, you'll want to keep riding it that's for sure.

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect, thanks for the quick reply.
I'm a high-cadence climber, and I think I need the granny ring.
Glad it is not too terribly involved.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i would seriously try the 2x9 stock set up for a few rides before going to a 3x9 set up.

i took off the 44t for a 42t so i could spend 90% of the time in the big ring the 29t with a 11/34 cassette you'll be able to climb the short steep ones along with the long fire road grinders just fine.

it's kinda like riding a SS bike you get the do or die mentality once you realize there is no downshifting to a weenie gear.

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do plan to try out the 2X9 before replacing it, but my main event this year is the 24 Solo bike race in Canmore, so the granny gear will be not only appreciated, but a neccessity when I won't be able to pedal any harder than an insanely easy gear.

Thanks for the help, and the link to the manual.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with HAL9000-

personally I wouldn't do it. The 2x9 will make you strong and fast (quickly)

We avg ~2800 ft of climbing @ 15-20 miles (per ride) on a 2x9 (struggled at first) but I dont think I can ever go back to a triple.

Now I can confidently drop all my buddies with triples :D

don't do it unless you were climbing Everest or something equal :D

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
I do plan to try out the 2X9 before replacing it, but my main event this year is the 24 Solo bike race in Canmore, so the granny gear will be not only appreciated, but a neccessity when I won't be able to pedal any harder than an insanely easy gear.
i've got in my to be sold on eBay box a "like new" Cannondale hollowgram 94/58 bcd triple spider that you can run your stock 2x9 44/29 chain rings on an also a granny gear i got a ultra-weenie 21t thats never been outta the package that will work nicely with it.

it might be cheaper to go that route "hint hint" than having to buy a 104/64 bcd hollowgram cannondale spider and a bunch of new chain rings.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Dont keep it....................sell it to me for $250.........................I will even give you my 2010 race face xc Deux and the adapter..............................:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts