Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an 08 Rockhopper Disc about one month ago. It's my first mountain bike and I am loving it although one thing is annoying me. If I am off the bike and manually move the bike forward and backwards it make a moaning noise that seems to becoming for the back wheel. I have brought it back to my LBS twice, who have been great, to have them look at it. They have adjusted the brakes thinking there may be some rubbing. They also stated that the noise I am hearing is normal during the break-in of the bike especially for disc brakes.

Well I have been riding it 4 times a week for the last month and it is still making that noise. Any idea's what it could be in addition to the brakes? Is my LBS just feeding me a bunch of crap? I will be getting a free tune-up within the first 90 days. I wanted to wait a bit longer before I brought it back for a tune-up.

Any thoughts/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing. The first time I was walking my bike through a recently thawed spring bog and thought it was a moose!

I think the best thing to do is not get off your bike, and don't let the wheels move backward. Othewise, as long as there is no apparent drag on the wheel going forward, why worry?

·
Registered
39 Posts
jfwebber said:
I purchased an 08 Rockhopper Disc about one month ago. It's my first mountain bike and I am loving it although one thing is annoying me. If I am off the bike and manually move the bike forward and backwards it make a moaning noise that seems to becoming for the back wheel. I have brought it back to my LBS twice, who have been great, to have them look at it. They have adjusted the brakes thinking there may be some rubbing. They also stated that the noise I am hearing is normal during the break-in of the bike especially for disc brakes.

Well I have been riding it 4 times a week for the last month and it is still making that noise. Any idea's what it could be in addition to the brakes? Is my LBS just feeding me a bunch of crap? I will be getting a free tune-up within the first 90 days. I wanted to wait a bit longer before I brought it back for a tune-up.

Any thoughts/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim
No worries, it's your brakes.
Mechanical disc brakes are especially tough to break in, because, unlike
hydraulic disc brakes, they don't adjust themselves, because of the way they are built. Unless your disc is bent, just keep riding and it will go away.

·
SSolo, on your left!
2,577 Posts
max.veregge11 said:
No worries, it's your brakes.
Mechanical disc brakes are especially tough to break in, because, unlike
hydraulic disc brakes, they don't adjust themselves, because of the way they are built. Unless your disc is bent, just keep riding and it will go away.
Yes, but proper adjustment greatly reduces the noise to almost nothing. Take it to the shop where you bought it and have them adjust it, I got free lifetime tuneups and maintenance with my purchase at the LBS. :thumbsup: And I'm reading, asking questions and watching how the guys at LBS do things so that I can someday do most of it myself....but I'm busier these days, so can't do it all the time. Gotta have time to ride! :)

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, BB5s are great brakes. Just as good as the BB7s. The problem comes in difficulty adjusting them, or failure to adjust them correctly. IMO the best and only way is to remove them from the mount, adjust the cable and lever (the one at the caliper) while visually looking how far the pad is cleaning the inside. After that put them back on and adjust as usual.

If it's not done this way then it's just guessing and brake performance, clearance, rubbing, etc will suffer. I bet this is what the LBS is doing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Razorfish....thanks for the info. Indeed the LBS is not removing them mount. They are adjusting them while mounted and then spinning the tires and then looking for any rubbing. I guess I could ask them to use your method describe.

Thanks again.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Maybe try doing it yourself also. I used to work on cars rebuilding everything myself but for the last almost 20 years I haven't worked on anything and very hesitant to even work on my bike. Even though I wasn't familiar with disc brakes I decided to just take em apart and figure it out. It took may times adjusting them poorly before I learned.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Natedogz said:
Yes, but proper adjustment greatly reduces the noise to almost nothing. Take it to the shop where you bought it and have them adjust it, I got free lifetime tuneups and maintenance with my purchase at the LBS. :thumbsup: And I'm reading, asking questions and watching how the guys at LBS do things so that I can someday do most of it myself....but I'm busier these days, so can't do it all the time. Gotta have time to ride! :)
Not to be a stickler, but I think he said he had already taken it to the shop and had them adjust it. But then again, if you have free lifetime tune-ups, take it in as often as possible :thumbsup:

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
max.veregge11 said:
Not to be a stickler, but I think he said he had already taken it to the shop and had them adjust it. But then again, if you have free lifetime tune-ups, take it in as often as possible :thumbsup:
That's what I thought too. I took my bike back a couple times a week and just realized they aren't adjusting the brakes correctly and aren't going to start adjusting them correctly. They were just doing a 2-minute, half-effort tune-up and that was it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is exactly what my LBS is doing. I have stopped in twice on my way out to ride a local trail and asked them to take a look. Both times they were busy but pulled a mechanic off a bike he was working on to look at mine.

I guess my option are to keep bringing it in to my LBS for the quick 2-minute adjustment, wait until I bring it in for my free within 90 days of purchase tune-up or give it a go myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.