Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Torn between these two. I'm thinking the SJ is the better buy, but will be used and I'll have to learn bike maintenance real quick. If I get the Rockhopper, it will be new from an LBS with free tune-ups and what not. The SJ may take an extra $150.

I haven't ridden a bike since I retired my old school Mongoose Menace about 12 years ago :D . I'm wanting to get back into riding for some fun, exercise and trasnportation.

·
for three!
208 Posts
I guess it depends on how used the stumpjumper is. Being that it's an 07, hopefully it's in great condition, and if that's the case, you shouldn't really have to maintain the bike any more than the new rockhopper. Stumpy has much better fork and better components overall. I'd say it's for sure worth the extra 150 if it's in solid condition.....but also, you say you want it mainly for fun, exercise, and transportation. That being the case, the rockhopper will be more of a "relaxed" riding position, whereas the stumpjumper is more of a racer. BUT with that being said also, i ride mainly for fun, exercise, and transportation as well, and have an 08 stumpy HT base model, and have no regrets, it's purely awesome.

·
Weekend Warrior
1,078 Posts
You should think about it again. The 08 Rockhopper got the M4 frame, handed down from the SJ, but I think the Stumpy got the M5 frame in 08 as well. Other than that the RH has 100m travel the SJ 80mm, it is a marginally a better bike in that year, any other year I would say the SJ is ahead of the RH, but there were several changes.

I would go with a new one. If you can get the SJ new go with it. I'm just not sure which one is better in the given years. I live my 08 RH and it is very, very nice. I didn't have the money at that time to justify the SJ HT so I didn't look in detail.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.