Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in buying a new RIP 9 and am trying to convince myself that it is worth the difference over the Voodoo Canzo. I currently own a Dambala, and would sell the frame and switch over my components. How would my Fluid 110, 1X9 (X-9), BB7's, and C29 wheels work on the RIP. Is the 110 too short on the travel. I see a bunch of people running at least a 120 and most going 135. I live in Florida, it is very tight, technical, rocky, rooty, trails with short steep climbs and descents (with LOTS of rocks and roots). I really want the RIP, but the $700 difference is tough to rationalize. Also, is the new cable routing on the '08 a good thing over the top tube of '07? Are there any other significant changes making the '08 better than the '07? Thanks.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Rip9

Coach417 said:
I am very interested in buying a new RIP 9 and am trying to convince myself that it is worth the difference over the Voodoo Canzo. I currently own a Dambala, and would sell the frame and switch over my components. How would my Fluid 110, 1X9 (X-9), BB7's, and C29 wheels work on the RIP. Is the 110 too short on the travel. I see a bunch of people running at least a 120 and most going 135. I live in Florida, it is very tight, technical, rocky, rooty, trails with short steep climbs and descents (with LOTS of rocks and roots). I really want the RIP, but the $700 difference is tough to rationalize. Also, is the new cable routing on the '08 a good thing over the top tube of '07? Are there any other significant changes making the '08 better than the '07? Thanks.

The 08 RIP is a great bike...period. The few changes that NinerBikes made to the current model have made the frame even stiffer and more reliable. The new cable routing is very good.

The frame can be set up as a XC weapon with lighter weight components, or as a AM ride that will handle anything you want to throw it into.

As far as being worth the extra money?

That's up to you.... but I think it is.

I've been testing my RIP9 for quite a while now, and it has been an exemplary bike in all respects.

I have NO hesitation in recommending the RIP or vouching for the guys at NinerBikes for their great customer service.

R.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Coach417 said:
I believe the Rip was originally designed for 100mm up front, Ive had mine at 100 & 130. It sounds like you similar type riding to mine, I prefer the 100, in fact I removed the 130 and went back to 100. I found the WB 130 slackened the steering noticably and made it much slower, the extra length was great but I like quick handling. This is not necessarily the result of the longer suspension, The Reba has 38mm of offset and I dont think the WB has any, if you have the right amount of offset you can have the bigger suspension while still keeping the steeper head angle and quicker handling.
bottom line, Rip9 is my favorite bike and if I could afford any other bike I wanted I would still buy the Rip

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
dan0 said:
The Reba has 38mm of offset and I dont think the WB has any, if you have the right amount of offset you can have the bigger suspension while still keeping the steeper head angle and quicker handling.
???

White Brothers forks have ~44mm of forward offset.

Axle-crown on the White 135 = 535mm
Axle- crown on the Reba 100 = 509mm
Difference is 26mm, less 20% sag = 18mm, resulting in .9° slacker head tube.

44mm offset - 38mm offset = 6mm difference = ~0.6° "effective" steepening of the steering.

That's why so many of us like the F135 on their RIP9: it "feels" like it's only 0.3° slacker than a Reba 100. And personally, I run a little more than 20% sag in my F135, pretty much canceling out any difference.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Coach417 said:
How would my Fluid 110, 1X9 (X-9), BB7's, and C29 wheels work on the RIP. Is the 110 too short on the travel.
You're components will work fine on the RIP. There may be some that are not compatible like the seatpost, but the major pieces should easily transfer. I ran Stylo SS cranks on my Sultan for a while before going to some older RF Turbines.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
My wife just got a RIP9 and she is beside herself with glee. We have lent the bike to a VERY close friend and he also agrees that the bike is pretty swell. They both commented on the great agility of the bike and the stickyness of the front wheel on climbs which is important here in S. Korea. Currently the bike is setup with 80mm travel and everyone loves it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
I'm curious -- how'd she go about selecting an 80mm fork? Was it to adress any rider height issues?
No, no my friend, it is quite scientific in reasoning...I am a lazy SOB and have yet to stretch it to 100mm. QBP distributes the fork at 80mm. :thumbsup:

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the responses. I REALLY do want the RIP, and it does seem to be worth the difference over the Canzo, according to everyone's glowing reviews.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Coach417 said:
Thank you for the responses. I REALLY do want the RIP, and it does seem to be worth the difference over the Canzo, according to everyone's glowing reviews.
Those "glowing reviews" are what pushed me to stray from my excellent dw-link bikes, and I must say, I've been satsified.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
The difference between the Canzo suspension design and the RIP 9s will definitely be noticeable in my humble opinion. Noticeable in a very good way as well.

·
bike dork
371 Posts
It's no secret that I love mine. I just swapped out the Reba for a Minute (100mm) and it's a little better all around. Still waiting for the "new" Reba to come out to add some more travel and that elusive on the trail adjustable travel.

A note on the BB7s - be sure to run the Full Metal Jacket, at least in the rear. I had a hell of a time getting just the flak jacket housing to work. The FMJ solved the issues I was having and feels great at the lever to boot.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
???

White Brothers forks have ~44mm of forward offset.

Axle-crown on the White 135 = 535mm
Axle- crown on the Reba 100 = 509mm
Difference is 26mm, less 20% sag = 18mm, resulting in .9° slacker head tube.

44mm offset - 38mm offset = 6mm difference = ~0.6° "effective" steepening of the steering.

That's why so many of us like the F135 on their RIP9: it "feels" like it's only 0.3° slacker than a Reba 100. And personally, I run a little more than 20% sag in my F135, pretty much canceling out any difference.
+

well I had the 130 not 135 and it was definately slower handling on the Rip, I was guessing that the setback was the reason

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've only bounced around a parking lot on the rip9 but I own a canzo. I use a high offset 20mm TA 120 (manitou) to get high BB & still quick handling. I've got a WB F130 TA I still need to try out too. I think the offset of it is the same as the F135 but don't have the #s here infront of me to proove it.

The instantaneous difference you'll notice between the two bikes is the stock shock damping. The RIP comes w/ a RP23 that, I think, has "medium tune" compression damping. You get alot of shock movement over everything - to the point that I think you'd want to run some platform all the time (or at least you have that option.) The canzo has a monarch that is rock hard in compression - very 'XC' feeling in nature. There is no need to even turn platform on. IMO, does not suit what Im after. I'd REALLY like to try a fox rp23 in the canzo (a friend has one I need to borrow someday.) If you like "plush" right out of the box, adding a shock to the canzo shrinks the $ gap to the RIP. If you like stiff, the canzo might suit you better. No other complaints about the canzo, though I think the new 08 cable routing on top of the top tube is a dumb idea (my wife has scars on her knees from her trek w/ similar routing)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.