Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, I've done the search and not really found a conclusion to the issue I have so hence the new thread.

I have an 08 Revelation Dual-Air (bought in Jul 08) that has been working fine until very recently. A friend was home from the US over Christmas and I let him use my HT with the Rev on it. With him being heavier than me, I pumped the positive and negative pressures up to the recommended settings for his weight (didn't have the time to be playing about to get the exact/best pressures so went with RS's recommendations). This led to 2 problems. :rolleyes:
Here's what I did in case the problem is here. I pumped the positive chamber up to ~150 first and then went to increase the negative to the same. When I disconnected the pump from the negative valve there was oil after getting into the pump from the valve - according to a post I read here this is normal (if anyone thinks otherwise let me know). I found this strange as this has never happened before (although I've never pumped the chambers to that kind of pressure (~150) before either) on either this fork or my previous Reba.

I wasn't too worried about this but I am more worried about the second problem. :eekster:
When my friend went back, I went about setting the fork up for me again. I dumped some air out of the negative chamber first and watched the fork extend, then dropped the pressure in the positive chamber. This time, I got some oil in the pump from the positive chamber. :confused: I was a bit more worried now and I checked that the fork was working as it had in the past. I finished setting up the +/- pressures and I went for a ride on my usual trails. The ride went fine and I was happy again with the fork.
However, when taking the bike out of the car a few hours after the spin, I noticed a leak around the top of the right side leg around by the floodgate and poploc compression knobs. :madmax: When I now try and lockout the fork using the Poploc, the fork won't lock out. If I adjust the gold floodgate knob it doesn't seem to have any effect on the fork. :confused: :eekster:

Do I have a problem with the oil coming from the positive/negative valves? What's wrong with the Motion Control/right side leg?
I bought the fork from a big online retailer here, should I try something with it myself or do I just send it back to them since it's still under warranty?
Sorry for the long winded story but I just wanted to give all the facts so I can get the best reply.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
the oil on the positive and negative sides is not an issue..... but definitely take a look at the o-rings on the top of the MoCo compression assembly nd check the oil level.... the compression assembly must be summerged (touching the oil)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If the bike has been on its side, the oil on the motion control side gets above the compression valving and it takes 20x cycles of the fork for the oil to get back down in the right place. The lockout and floodgate will work fine after cycling the fork 20 times.

This is in the RockShox manual.

The minor oil leak you have does need to be fixed though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I left the fork sit overnight (to let gravity do its thing) and cycled it ~25 times and the lockout is working again and the floodgate seems to be doing its thing too.
I took it for a spin and it all seems to be working fine. There's no sign of any leak at the moment but I still need to look at those o-rings that crisillo talks about.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update on this for anyone who has similar problems in the future.
I sent the fork back for a repair under warranty, I just got it back yesterday (~3wk turnaround) and the distributor replaced the Motion Control unit (as it had a leak) and the compression damper unit too.
I'll be taking the fork out tonight and keeping an eye on it and if there are any problems, I'll report back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.