Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the bearing sizes are for the rear triangle linkages? Mine are shot, don't have a great way to measure them, and would like to stop by the bearing shop on the way home. Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you talk to your lbs where you got the bike, because I got giant to replace the whole linkage for free because the bearing were shot on mine in 6 months. You can also get a set of enduro's, they are a little more expensive then the regular machine bearings. The size and type is also on the cartridge of the bearing too.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm with Will - someone please post the sizes (grade would be nice too)? I don't know why bike manufactures don't put this on their websites. It's no different than posting the recommended headset. I can screw things up installing those wrong too.

My bike's not new so they owe me nothing, and I don't typically go to a bike shop for bearings since you can buy them for so much less direct from a bearing manufacturer and they are easy to replace if you know how. No reason to add more middle men for a commodity component.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to the local bike shop, where the bike was bought but not by me. I'm the second owner. They didn't know the size, and said I'd have to bring it in so they could pull them and see what size they were. The full kit, bearings and "hardware" (which I'm assuming is bolts, they couldn't give me a description over the phone) was $120! I took the whole rear triangle off and all the linkages and am going to go by the bearing shop tomorrow and see what they say. If I find out the type and size I'll post them here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You need the Giant maestro pull kit to remove and change the bearings. If you think the kit is expensive you dont want to pay for the pull kit itself. Your LBS is going to have to do it for you.

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
Go to enduroforkseals.com and order the bearing kit from them. It should be around $40 for the kit and it has everything you need to replace your bearings. I just did mine about 4 months ago when I did a full overhaul on my Reign X. You do need the bearing pull kit that a Giant shop will have. If you order the bearings and have apart, just with the old bearings still in, it shouldn't take them long to pop out the old bearings and press in the new ones. You don't need a whole new hardware kit. I don't know where they came up with that. I work for a Giant dealer and we've had to do a few of the bearing changes and we usually only charge like 30$ to do it. We charge an hourly fee, so if you save us some time, it's cheaper for ya. Really a quick, easy job to do. About as fast as changing a couple tubes really. Good luck.

·
Stiff yet compliant
1,895 Posts
All standard sealed bearings will have a part number printed on the plastic seal. Different manufacturers use the same numbers making it easy to find replacements.
The bearing where the seatstays meet the rocker is a 6900RS, (these appear to be the first bearings to go bad).
30 seconds on Google and I found ten on Ebay for $25. Easy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You don't need the Giant bearing pull kit, or any pull "kit". A search on here will show a method using various bolts, washers, nuts and sockets. Even if you have to buy the bolts etc. you won't be out more than a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
if you're in the states, just get the enduro kit, but the bearing numbers I was advised of are:
4 x 6900 bearings (22mm OD)
4 x 6902 bearings (28mm OD)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts