Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

How tall are the 2008 nomad riders out there and what size frame/stem do you ride?

I'm new to MTBR and I know this topic has been batted around a few times, but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Nomad and I've searched the archives for everything related to sizing to help me decide.

There are no LBSs around that stock SC for test rides, so I've going in blind here.

I'm 5'8" with a 32 inseam. My current ride is an Ibis Mojo, Medium frame (22.8 TT with 90mm stem), which I'm comfortable on. By the math, a large Nomad with a 70mm stem would be about the same reach as my current ride.

SC says I fall smack in the middle of a medium, but a medium with a 70mm stem would be 1" shorter than my current ride. I'm sure I can fuss with the bars and seat so maybe this can be dialed out, but I would like to ride a 70mm stem max on the new ride. To make matters more interesting, the TT and wheelbase on a 2008 specialized Enduro Medium or Trek Remedy is nearly identical to the 2008 Nomad Large. Hmmm.

Thanks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm the same size as you (5'8.3" with 32.5 inseam) and I've also been wondering about the fit on a medium Nomad.

I'll be watching this thread :)

By the way, why are you considering the Nomad over the Ibis Mojo?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am 5'10 or 5'11 and ride an XL Nomad. I got mine at prolly the only store in the world that has/had all sizes / models to try first. The best advice I ever got (from the store owner) was to go with an XL - said Nomads "run one size too small." A couple of employees at the shop also have Nomads that are one size larger than the manual says. I knew the XL was a perfect fit the second I sat on it. These bike companies / dealerships really tick me off - every is a Santa Cruz dealer but nobody ever has any inventory to even look at, let alone try.

·
KEEP ROLLING
379 Posts
i am 5"7" and ride a medium. i ride it with a 36 float and find the cockpit a little cramped so i put a longer stem on and pushed the seat back feels good now,if i push tight corners to the limit and lay the bike down the front washes out first i think a coil in the back will help this problem in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ForestHorse,

These bike companies / dealerships really tick me off - every is a Santa Cruz dealer but nobody ever has any inventory to even look at, let alone try.
I'm in Jersey and I can't find any SC dealers around here that stock Nomads....there's one with Hecklers and Blurs, but not a single Nomad. You're right this really does suck because I'll be dropping quite a bit of coin and don't want to get stuck on a bike too big/small. It seems to me that Specialized and Trek think their competing bikes sould be sized larger than SC does. Perhaps SC intentionally wants Nomad riders to be on a smaller bike because they like a smaller cockpit? correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many downhillers ride frames one size smaller than their XC bikes?

-mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
A Nomad is a way different bike from a Mojo. Mojo's are trail bikes whereas a Nomad is more "all mountain" and can even be built for FR, it's a much more aggressive bike and has more upright positioning. I'd probably go with the medium as the large will most likely be too big when things get real tech.
I'm 6' 1/2" 175lbs and ride a large with a 90mm stem, float 36. I do 50+miles with 8k ft of climbing and then do jumps on the same bike with this setup. It's definitely not XC positioning like this but it's not a XC bike so it works. When I want to XC I ride my 29'er hardtail, it's super laid out but that's not really the point of a Nomad.
I'm pretty surprised that guy above rides an XL at 5'10", that's a really big bike, I was not at all comfortable on a XL and I'm 2-3 inches taller.
Also, I demo'd a Specialized Enduro which had the same wheelbase but found the Nomad to be a way better handling bike, that was what made up my mind.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
I'm 5'10" w/32 inseam and I run a 40mm stem on a large Nomad that fits me well. I like quick steering and therefore run a short stem. I'm coming from a med. VP Free that fit me very well w/the same stem.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Manatarms said:
man w/ one hand,

Is your bike a 2007 or 2008?
Well....I bought the frame from a guy that just got it from SC 3 weeks ago as a crash replacement. It has 1.5 ht and the S-man head badge. Does that help??

·
-Fly you fools!-
203 Posts
Hey Mana, where in Jersey are you located? I work for a shop in central Jersey that sells SC. I ride a medium Nomad myself, so maybe we could arrange a day that I'll bring it to work with me and you could ride it around. Heck, maybe even meet up at a trail. Let me know, maybe we could arrange something to help you out...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm 5-9ish with a very short inseam - 30. Yesterday i picked up my new nomad - size L with standard stock stem. I tried several and ended up with the large as the medium was just too cramped for me. after about 30k between yesterday and today all i can say is freaking awesome - what a great bike! i think you really just have to try them out and see what works best for you. everyone has different body shapes even if their the same height - apparenty i'm shaped like an ape with short legs and longer upper body!
what a sweet freakin bike - i'm pumped

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm 5'11" and have a longish inseam (34") but what seems to be short arms! I ride an '06 large with a 50mm and it's perfect as a 'light' freeride rig, switch the stem to a 70mm and it's perfect for AM. :)

I'd go with the medium if it were me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Manatarms said:
ForestHorse,

I'm in Jersey and I can't find any SC dealers around here that stock Nomads....there's one with Hecklers and Blurs, but not a single Nomad. You're right this really does suck because I'll be dropping quite a bit of coin and don't want to get stuck on a bike too big/small. It seems to me that Specialized and Trek think their competing bikes sould be sized larger than SC does. Perhaps SC intentionally wants Nomad riders to be on a smaller bike because they like a smaller cockpit? correct me if I'm wrong, but don't many downhillers ride frames one size smaller than their XC bikes?

-mark
plant bike in east brunswick has a medium

·
Cannonball!
530 Posts
I test rode Nomads a couple of weeks ago and I am 5'7" and about a 31" inseam. I found the medium tight and I feel like I could actually set up a large to be doable. On most bikes I am way too short to ride large. That being said, I will be waiting for the next model to come out. According to the specs I have seen, the medium will be about a 1/2" longer and should be perfect. I can't wait! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm 5'6" and I have a small Nomad. Its smaller than it should be for me but I bought it to do FR/DH, and it can do both very well.

If it was my one and only trail bike I would have got a medium. But it isnt and I have both a dedicated trail bike and a dedicated DH bike.

I love the bike, It does what I want it to do, I couldnt ask for better and I wouldnt trade it for the world.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.