Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys was wondering how the 08 nixons are holding up. My main concern is seals,axle issues and long term durability. I had one in the past and was fairly pleased w/ it. Except it seemed to get sticky fairly quickly after semi bath oil was changed. Maybe I was using the wrong type of oil. Any way thanks for any info.

Tom

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Mine is going very well. I used Mobil 1 Synthetic as the semi-bath oil, no problems at all.
I've been pleased with the performance, and the Jenson USA price was a killer deal... :thumbsup:

08 Nixon TPC+ 145mm travel. Excellent fork. Stiff and plush.

R.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rainman

How is the axle. The one I had was a quick release. My current fork is a 20 mm. Any issues w/ the axle? Any play left to right? Seems to be an issue w/ other brands including 3 fox 36 forks I have tried. Also which viscosity oil are you using? Crossmax st front wheel by the way

Thanks again Tom

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Mine is a year old now...'08 TPC+ Nixon Elite 160 w/20mm axle on a Nomad. I love this fork. I've serviced the damper once and done the semi-bath twice. I use the same semi-bath oil as Rainman, but I also add a little PFTE to the semi-bath. The only seal I've had to replace was the small o-ring on the damper rod end which is supposed to be replaced everytime you do the semi-bath oil. I got a replacement at the auto parts store.

I'm curious about your comment on the axle durability. The hex design Manitou front axle is probably one of the best, so I'm not sure what you're concern is there. If it's the pinch bolts for the axle and their clamps, just install some thin washers inside the clamp space on the bolts, and you'll never overtighten the bolts to damage the clamps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry TNC. My durability question was overall not just the axle. My concern w/ the axle is I have tried a few other forks and they had slight play to a rather large amount in the 3, 36 forks I tried. It is not my wheel it is new. Called fox w/ the issue and was almost laughed at. So stupid me ordered another axle thinking it was at fault ,same result. Fox wanted me to ship them the whole fork for a questionable sized axle. I know you have been riding yours a while. Glad to hear yours is holding up well. I am currently riding a all mtn 1 w/ a rc2 conversion. I am pleased w/ this fork but would like to loose some standover and also 3/4 lb or so of weight.

Thanks for info Tom

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Nope no play at all, the axle is tight and stiff. I'm using the standard 5 weight in the damper section, and 20w 50 mobil 1 in the semibath.

I ran a test on the 120mm Manitou with the QR and the TA some time ago on the 29'er forum. I found that generally speaking, the fork
is way stiffer with the TA and tracks better, although the standard QA isn't too bad, either.
As far as my Nixon goes, it's a really nice fork.

R.

tom schoonveld said:
How is the axle. The one I had was a quick release. My current fork is a 20 mm. Any issues w/ the axle? Any play left to right? Seems to be an issue w/ other brands including 3 fox 36 forks I have tried. Also which viscosity oil are you using? Crossmax st front wheel by the way

Thanks again Tom

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I like my Nixon Elite 130-160mm wind down coil for it's light weight and versatility using different travel for various conditions. It's a bit flexy for my 200 lbs but much stiffer set to 140mm travel than a Fox 32/140 qr fork (I haven't tried the new 15mm axle Fox versions yet). The '08 160mm version is about 1 lbs lighter and 10mm shorter a2c than alternative 160mm forks, but not as stiff.

One seal has seeped slightly and attracted extra dust since new, no big deal, that's common for most forks. Other wise it's low in stiction and has a plush linear spring rate and high quality TPC+ damping that is very close in quality to PUSH'ed forks I have.

I've had some irregular brake rub rotor alignment problems when I don't screw the 20mm axle consistently very tight. Using small pliers to tighten the axle end cap much tighter than hand tight makes rotor alignment consistent, but I have to carry small piers while riding I wouldn't otherwise. I had no such problems with the same wheel using a Pike and far superior Maxel axle so I guess my Nixon doesn't have square hub faced lowers. My prior '05 145mm Nixon Elite also had similar axle alignment problems. I wish the Pike was 130 - 160mm travel. I may get a Lyric U-turn coil someday.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I want to change the semibath oil in my Nixon. I see that Manitou specs 40w oil and Rainman uses 20w50. I can't seem to find straight 40w but picked up some Mobil 1 0w40. Do you guys think this is OK? Does it really matter for the semi-bath? By the way, I'm riding in New England where it's currently pretty cold.....

Rainman why did you choose 20w50?

EDIT: OK I just reread the service guide and saw that they actually call for 5w40....anyone think the 0w40 might lubricate better in cold temps?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
The lubricating range of the Mobil 1 oil is very wide, and seems to work in pretty well any conditions, but I usually don't have to ride in the freezing cold temperatures that you guys in the USA do....Australia is much hotter, so I use an oil that can handle higher temps.

0-40 would be fine I would guess for your intended purposes.

Rainman.

DireWolf said:
I want to change the semibath oil in my Nixon. I see that Manitou specs 40w oil and Rainman uses 20w50. I can't seem to find straight 40w but picked up some Mobil 1 0w40. Do you guys think this is OK? Does it really matter for the semi-bath? By the way, I'm riding in New England where it's currently pretty cold.....

Rainman why did you choose 20w50?

EDIT: OK I just reread the service guide and saw that they actually call for 5w40....anyone think the 0w40 might lubricate better in cold temps?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.