Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the stock rear hub on my '08 mkiii has the oversized quick release skewer. iirc, it is 10 mm diameter, correct? so if i were to purchase an older hone/saint rear derailleur, i would also need the longer 10 mm thru-bolt axle, correct? i want to go from my current 22-32-bash set-up to a 34-bash and am looking at a mid-cage m600 RD to take up the slack.

thanks!

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after reading through the DT Swiss RWS threads, the rear qr axle diameter is 10 mm. would i need to get a 10x150 mm thru-bolt to accomodate the hone m600 RD?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
why would getting a new rear D mean that the spacing in the frame changes?

I don't get the logic there.

The rear spacing on an mk3 is 135mm. So a 135x10mm dt swiss rws would work, although your stock one will work fine too.

I don't really get your question, you aren't changing your thru bolt when you mess with your rear D..

·
Registered
24 Posts
May be you have seen a saint that is mounted on the axle, all the other D's are mounted on a hanger, and the axle has nothing to do with it.

·
habitual line-stepper
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
redmr2_man said:
why would getting a new rear D mean that the spacing in the frame changes?

I don't get the logic there.

The rear spacing on an mk3 is 135mm. So a 135x10mm dt swiss rws would work, although your stock one will work fine too.

I don't really get your question, you aren't changing your thru bolt when you mess with your rear D..
thats why i asked the question. i don't plan on running the rws, i just found the axle diameter of the stock hub there. the older saint/hone derailleurs mount to the hub axle, therefore i was wondering if a 10 mm bolt-on axle would suffice. are you suggesting i just use the stock 10 mm qr? i do appreciate the responses though!

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
2,119 Posts
That oversized 10mm RWS QR should work just fine with that rear hub. I vaguely recall it from the one I just sold and run the 10mm RWS on all my other bikes. They were identical in size.

You'll probably drop a pound or two with the RWS QR as that stock QR was a bear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts