Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've looked all over the forum for a similar issue but can't find anything.

There seems to be a clicking sound when the fork is quickly compressed. Example, lifting the front end of the bike and then dropping will make the clicking sound happen. Not consistently but it does happen... On a fast run, I can hear clicking once and a while but not all the time. On flat land there is no clicking... I've checked the headset, crown, axle and everything seems to be tight. There doesn't seem to be any play in the lowers... It's not from any cables hitting. I've isolated the sound to be coming from the right hand side close to the bottom of the lowers. (Coil side) I am hoping that its just the rebound spring hitting against the inside. I am wondering if anyone else has the same thing and im just being paranoid or if I need to take the fork in to get serviced... The fork is brand new with less than 20 hours of riding on it. Any help would be appreciated....

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
If it bothers you, tear it down and reposition the spring or grind one end down so that it's seated properly. I did that for my ETA spring.

700 Posts
cnukina said:
Hey,

I've looked all over the forum for a similar issue but can't find anything.

There seems to be a clicking sound when the fork is quickly compressed. Example, lifting the front end of the bike and then dropping will make the clicking sound happen. Not consistently but it does happen... On a fast run, I can hear clicking once and a while but not all the time. On flat land there is no clicking... I've checked the headset, crown, axle and everything seems to be tight. There doesn't seem to be any play in the lowers... It's not from any cables hitting. I've isolated the sound to be coming from the right hand side close to the bottom of the lowers. (Coil side) I am hoping that its just the rebound spring hitting against the inside. I am wondering if anyone else has the same thing and im just being paranoid or if I need to take the fork in to get serviced... The fork is brand new with less than 20 hours of riding on it. Any help would be appreciated....
Hello,
We have seen 2 forks that have had a problem with the non-damping side of the fork. It requires a rebuild and would be covered under warranty. We haven't had any issues with the RC3 cartridges so I want to tell you that it would be a good idea to have the fork checked.
PM me then call us for an RA#, in that order. I can help get this turned around ASAP.

Sorry for the trouble.

A spring click normally happens when you compress the fork and you hear it about 20-50% into the travel and is not a top out type issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.