Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Cloud City Wheelers and Cycles of Life are proud to announce the 2008 Leadville Winter Mt. Bike Series.

The dates are......

Jan. 26 The East Side Epic - a great race on fast snowpacked roads and snowmobile trails through the Historic Mining District.

Feb. 9 The Tennessee Pass Night Jam - Bring the lights for this exciting night race on Tennessee Pass Nordic Center's groomed ski trails.

March 1 Mineral Belt Mayhem - Come to Leadville for the first ever bike race on Lake County's Mineral Belt Trail. A 12 mile groomed bike/ski loop around town. Afterwards watch the ski-joring on Harrison Ave. Horses pulling skiers over 8ft jumps to a flat landing!

Register online at Active.com or email [email protected] for more info

Keep an eye out for flyers in your local bike shop soon!

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
Um, Sterling, did you forget to email someone on this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've gotten a couple people wondering if they can register through myself or any other methods other than Active.com Yes you can. Please email me and I'll sign you up and once you get into town you can sign the waiver and pay the race fee. The snow is setting up real nice so get those bikes ready. You can also call Cycles of Life at 719 486 5533 on Saturdays or Tennessee Pass Nordic Center at 719 486 1750 whatever is easier. Spread the word....

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
Really, really considering this.
Anyone want to carpool up from the front range? I can easily meet along I-70 (I'm in Morrison) or if I drive I can fit another bike on top, assuming a 100 mm fork, I have a trunk rack that another pugsley with a 135 mm fork can go on(hope the roads aren't too cruddy though).

Any info on distrance? 25 miles? 50 miles? 10 miles?

Depending on weather I might be interested in going out for another lap afterwards or checking out the other courses a little. I'm hoping to get in 5 hours of riding, even if that means going back out when I get home.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This weekend's course is 11 miles long and packing down real nice. Wait till you see the downhill. Its filled with jumps and berms....surrounded by powder.
We look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

GET PSYCHED!

·
This place needs an enema
16,099 Posts
leadvegas said:
This weekend's course is 11 miles long and packing down real nice. Wait till you see the downhill. Its filled with jumps and berms....surrounded by powder.
We look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

GET PSYCHED!
11 miles total? Or per lap? How many laps?

Interested (especially in the descent!), but wouldn't consider traveling that distance for, um, that distance.

Any info is appreciated.

MC

·
Registered
96 Posts
Any input as to what setup is going to work the best? I was wandering about studded tires, reg. tires with lower pressure, snow bike, etc.
Thanks in advance for the input.
Brian

·
Registered
360 Posts
with the snow we have, it will be 1.5-2 hours of riding.For it to pack real well it needs alot of continious packing. If it snows before the race, it will be a good workout. Depends on rider weight and tires too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
11miles total. 1 lap. The jumps and berms are made out of the terrain and winddrifts with a lot of help from the local slednecks; a bunch of rollers to double. Much more to explore after the race if you need more. Most of us will be drinking beer and stranahans afterwards.............

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rode the course today after work starting at 4pm. My set up was a Karate Monkey with 2.5 Weirwolfs with 33x20 single speed set up. I was running 32psi. Everything went great.At 10am the course will be much harder packed. If you have a snowbike you'll be psyched. If you don't use your widest tires and rims. The course is getting packed down by sleds and a roller everyday and will be packed down the morning of the race. We haven't gotten any snow yet this week and it looks like its going to be the same for the rest of the week. The sun helps pack down the trail too.

·
Cycling, FTW!!
478 Posts

·
2,856 Posts
leadvegas said:
I rode the course today after work starting at 4pm. My set up was a Karate Monkey with 2.5 Weirwolfs with 33x20 single speed set up. I was running 32psi. Everything went great.At 10am the course will be much harder packed. If you have a snowbike you'll be psyched. If you don't use your widest tires and rims. The course is getting packed down by sleds and a roller everyday and will be packed down the morning of the race. We haven't gotten any snow yet this week and it looks like its going to be the same for the rest of the week. The sun helps pack down the trail too.
The weather is starting to look mighty interesting :thumbsup:

Ed

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its sunny and cloud free in Leadville right now. The best way to forecast the weather here is to look out the window

·
2,856 Posts
leadvegas said:
Its sunny and cloud free in Leadville right now. The best way to forecast the weather here is to look out the window
No doubt, especially in the mountains but I've been an inveterate weather watcher since I was knee-high to a fly so I can't help but look.

By the way, that snowy forecast only makes it more enticing for me. Last year was beautiful and sunny, maybe add a little excitement and challenge this year with some snow and blow.

Ed

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
I'm gonna do my best to be there... someone has to finish DFL and I'd be proud to be THAT guy!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts