Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of yours. I am looking at the complete bike on jensonusa.com and don't like the brakes or shock. Are these ok and is there anything else to look into. I don't want to spend more than a grand. I was thinking of putting a fox rp2 and BB7's on it.

·
the test dummy
3,487 Posts
i have one the brakes are fine but the shock is just ok if i had the money i would change it. changes i did were i got different grips the one it came with sucked and i put maxxis high roller 2.70s on it for more grip in mud, snow and sand

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The Tektros aren't bad brakes. They use the older Deore M525 pad so you can change them for more stopping power. The bike comes with 7" front and 6" rear rotors. Once broken in, they stop darn fast. The pads have a high metal content and seam to take a bit to bed in. I used them at Diablo freeride park this year and was impressed. On eBay, there is a seller, "bikefridge" and his pads are 4 pairs for $20 or so. You can look at the Tektro of M525, when you get them, they most likley will say for Shimano 525. Anyhow, i like his pads for the price.
BTW, I around 230lbs and 6.0'

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
if i were you i would call jenson and ask about which one they have because the 08 parker's had a recall because of bad welds and the frames were cracking easily. just call and make sure they have the fixed one.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all the frames Jenson has have the updated chainstays, but I'm not sure. if you decide to go for the Parker, you will certainly enjoy it. I've got a post or two somewhere around here with some pictures of my Parker, probably sitting over in the Jamis forum. granted, I started with the bare frame rather than a complete bike, so my build spec is going to be drastically different from yours, but still, it's a damn fine bike for the money

·
the test dummy
3,487 Posts
Slyp Dawg said:
I'm pretty sure that all the frames Jenson has have the updated chainstays, but I'm not sure. if you decide to go for the Parker, you will certainly enjoy it. I've got a post or two somewhere around here with some pictures of my Parker, probably sitting over in the Jamis forum. granted, I started with the bare frame rather than a complete bike, so my build spec is going to be drastically different from yours, but still, it's a damn fine bike for the money
They have changed them

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
illwill88 said:
nah im going to have to disagree...... those are the worst hydro's u can buy....but your right about the fork. but with some upgrades it can be a good rig
the brakes are fine and we are talking about the rear shock, not the fork. the rs recon is a pretty nice fork.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
fork blows my friend went through 3 before he realized it sucked and got a simple tora u turn that works perfectly.... dont let the gold stancions fool u for all u noobs that think cause it has gold stancions that its good haha

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
illwill88 said:
fork blows my friend went through 3 before he realized it sucked and got a simple tora u turn that works perfectly.... dont let the gold stancions fool u for all u noobs that think cause it has gold stancions that its good haha
thats funny because a tora is a recon with differnt lowers.

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
having both a tora and a recon 351 (what comes on the parker) i can tell you the tora is certainly stronger due to steel stanchions and a beefier crown, but i have really been impressed with the recon and i dont think you would need much more strength from a qr fork- if you are heavy or ride aggressively then 20mm is a substantial improvement.
I think the parker complete from jenson is a great bike- that being said i would definately want to upgrade some componentry.

·
the test dummy
3,487 Posts
illwill88 said:
well it is holding up a crap ton better... he has hit up to 6 foot drops on it and it hasnt skipped a beat. the recon got screwed on a 3 foot drop seriously
I bet he landed funny because I kept the recon on mine and do like 5 foot drops to flat no problem

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.