Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
i test rode both of those (smalls though) bikes HiFi Deluxe and EX8... i found them to be COMPLETELY different in feel... EX8 felt super plush but also pretty slugish, especially in slow speed steering... HiFi Deluxe felt nimble, tossable, still somewhat plush (not as much as the EX8) yet with just the right amount of firmness...

you should go with what bike feels best to you... both have lifetime frame warranties for the original owner (both Trek and GF owned by parent Trek company)....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....thanks for the reply. I test rode them both again today.....18.5" Trek vs. 19" Fisher. As of right now, my decision is still up in the air. I almost wish Trek hadn't revamped the
'08 suspension setup. The fisher was hands down better last year....but this year the two bikes are pretty damn equal. Wish my decision was easier....

Cheers

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have an 08 HiFi Carbon 19". I owned an 07 EX8. Although I have not ridden the 08 EX8, my HiFi is head and shoulders above last year's EX8. The HiFi has a more stretched out cockpit, is alot more nimble at slow speed, climbs better and leans much more towards XC than the new EX8 which is supposedly more plush with a bottomless feel to the rear suspension and no brake jack with the new ABP. Alot will depend on your preference in terms of geometry, fit and handling and on the type of riding you do. If you prefer a more upright riding position and a plusher ride that won't beat you up on technical terrain, go for the EX8; if you want a nimble, long travel XC oriented bike, go for the HiFi. You may want to start a thread in the Clyde forum to see how the two bikes you are interested in are rated by that group of riders. Both are great bikes. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ronnie1867 said:
....thanks for the reply. I test rode them both again today.....18.5" Trek vs. 19" Fisher. As of right now, my decision is still up in the air. I almost wish Trek hadn't revamped the
'08 suspension setup. The fisher was hands down better last year....but this year the two bikes are pretty damn equal. Wish my decision was easier....

Cheers
All being equal then, what happens when you decide to upgrade your fork in a couple of years ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can only comment on the HiFi but at your size, if you are going to do anything more than just light trail riding I would avoid the HiFi. I am around 235 and my HiFi is at the factory for warranty repairs after snapping both rear chain stays. I primarily do XC riding. If you search the GF forum you will find numerous threads on broken HiFi's. While most of these are for 07 model year bikes, I don't know that the 08's have been in service long enough to know if they have solved all of the problems - my bike lasted almost 1 year before it broke.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
it's not like other bike brands don't have failures... early '08 EX8's had rear pivot joint failure at the seat stay... plenty of posts on that too...

i've yet to see a report on these boards of an '08 failing (if there is i missed it)... not trying to defend GF but I guess i am anyways...

i think the problem with GF since there is only a small amount of people posting in the GF threads here on mtbr (as can be seen by the small post/thread count compare to other brands on this forum) - it makes it seem like a large percentage have failures... i think what happens is because there isn't a ton of posts, the failure reports get more attention and make it seem like an epidemic...

it was a problem on '07 no doubt about that - and mostly if not exclusively on L and XL frames... GF took steps to fix... haven't seen much at all on '08 failures (they've been out for a while now)...

all i know is that i really like my '08 HiFi (mine's a small frame, so even less likely to fail) and hate to see people get scared away from a great bike (riding one makes you realise how nice the G2 geometry is) for a problem that is seemingly under controlled and has been resolved for '08... and with '09 models hopefully coming soon - i'd expect further improvement still...

i can understand your frustration rshughes and certainly you have every right to be upset and leary of GF's quality....i don't blame you one bit.... but i notice you're about the only one that keeps posting over and over and over again about the issue... no need for the broken record...

Ronnie1867 - good luck in your bike search - they are both great bikes.... go with your gut and get the one that feels best to YOU... and if you have doubts about reliability on one, go with the other.... that's my advice...

cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
MI_canuck

I think that the point of the forums is for us to share our individual experiences - good and bad - so that when aggregated, readers can digest the information and make their own decision. It is certainly true that in addition to my original postings I have replied to multiple other threads to share my experience, I do think that my input has been on topic and fact based. While I may sound like a broken record to those that read this forum regularly, not everyone is a regular reader or goes back and searches old threads. And I certainly did not make the claim that other brands do not have failures - my posting clearly stated "I can only comment on the HiFi"

As for your suggestion that the high percentage of broken GF postings is driven by the low number of postings, I suppose that could be one possible explanation. It could also be that when actually used as mountain bikes, they have a tendency to break.

Moving away from personal experience and on to anecdotal evidence, most of the guys that I ride with regularly (all very good, experienced riders) have owned and broken a GF in the past. Earlier this month while at the 24 hour of Big Bear race, I was in line for the bike wash after a lap when a somebody mentioned a GF frame broke out on the course. After only a few minutes of conversation we learned that 10 of the 12 people in line had owned (or still owned) GF and had broken frames. As one guy put it, "Its just part of owning a GF, you know that sooner or later the frame will break. But, I like the way it handles so I put up with it."

I liked the way both my Cake and HiFi handled but am not willing to put up with losing 8-12 weeks or riding time every year while waiting on warranty claims (which has been the case all 3 years that I have been a GF owner). I have come the the opinion that a lot of serious mountain bikers feel the same way and have moved on to other brands. I also think that this is why there are so few postings on this forum.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Well I can see your point and I appreciate your well described point of view... it's unfortunate that GF does have that reputation, and not all that unfounded if the anectdotal evidence is truly reflective of the broader picture...

I hope GF can somehow relieve themselves of the 'broken frame' stigma eventually - but to do that, they'll need a track record of positive experiences from consumers with their product and them not breaking.

I'm hopeful, but again have not experienced any failures at this point. If I had I'm sure I'd share your feelings.

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
MI_canuck said:
i've yet to see a report on these boards of an '08 failing (if there is i missed it)... not trying to defend GF but I guess i am anyways...
I guess I'll be the first to report one. I own a Gary Fisher Hifi 29er Plus, nice bike by the way. The frame broke where the drive side chain stay meets the drop outs.

The bike is 5 months old and I have about 500 miles of single track on the bike, the odometer reads 410 but isn't always on for various reasons.

I'm an aggressive rider bit I've never done anything off the wall with my bike. Mostly just trails in the county parks. One thing reassuring is, so far no one else has brought a HiFi in with a broken frame and this is out of four bike shops they have in the area. I'm hoping this is not a pervasive issue with the HiFi and so far it seems that it's not.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Uhhh, never for the HiFi's, they're made in Waterloo, WI (including the Carbon). The Superfly is made of TCT carbon in Taiwan (as is the Madone 4.7 and maybe a couple other carbon Trek family bikes) because the OCLV plant in Waterloo was absolutely running at full tilt boogie just to keep up with demand on the new Madone, the HiFi Carbon, and the carbon Fuels. The aluminum hardtails, I'm not sure. I was thinking the Platinum series frames were still US made, but I can't say so positively.

Eric

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The aluminum hardtails, I'm not sure. I was thinking the Platinum series frames were still US made, but I can't say so positively.
I KNOW '03 was made in the U.S. for the platinum as I've got one. I think the low end, 'classic' frames might have been Tiawan in 04. The greater part of the aluminum hardtail production went to Taiwan in '05 if I remember correctly. It is possible they switched parts of it back and forth since I didn't keep up for three years at all much after that.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just to confirm, I bought an '08 Big Sur and on the lower part of the head tube was a "Made in Taiwan" sticker.

Oh well, eventually everything will be made in Asia. Unless of course China (and the rest of Asia) starts to go green and begins instituting human rights laws in and out of the workplace. Who knows, with the USD getting weak maybe US companies will start manufacturing their products back in the US.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.