Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ve had my bike for 5 months now and the swingarm has cracked for the second tme in the same spot,right above the pivot the weld where the tubes meet is where it happened, they replaceditbefore took a little while but this shouldnt happen since i only ride xc with this bike no big jumps or drops. Would like to know if any one else has the same problem I was thinking about selling it "after its fixed" and buying a bullit

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Could it be the front triangle alignment of the pivot is at fault causing the stress in the swing arm, just a thought, I could never imagine that sort of failure just doing steady xc with no drops or jumps, and my other concern would be what shock you are using and settings are they set up correctly for your weight? and thats a lot of cable rub for a new swing arm, maybe you are using full travel all the of the time!
Not good , I've had my 07 Heckler 12 months same style of swing arm,
and its done alot of miles and regular small drops and jumps, one 15' drop by mistake luckily on to a nice transition, scared me to death :)

963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rp23 shock 230 psi
i think the crack comes from cranking really hard up steep hills
both times its happened after one climb where i ride
if i pedal hard you can see and feel the crack open up but when the suspension compresses it will close

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
I think there is an alignment issue as well. I've ridden mine pretty hard and it doesn't have a crack yet. I'm fairly heavy and tend to bottom it at least 2-5x a ride medium hard.

963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it doesnt bottom that much because the o-ring most of the time doesnt go past the bottom of the shock where i leave it

i weight 240
the shock has 230 psi thats where it feals right

·
Registered
835 Posts
thecrackerasscracker said:
it doesnt bottom that much because the o-ring most of the time doesnt go past the bottom of the shock where i leave it

i weight 240
the shock has 230 psi thats where it feals right
No offence intended here mate but I think your size/weight and by the amount of psi you have to use in your shock, that you have the wrong bike and/or the wrong sort of riding for it.

A Heckler would almost be and XC type bike for your size, I know some people version of XC can be all encompassing but....

To crack through a weld (not the actual tubing) for a 2nd time is indicating towards and issue with over stressed or unintended use.

By the way that cable rub looks terrible, use some clear contact and put over your cable/frame contact areas........

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Maybe the face of the pivot is not square, never taken mine apart to see, I just can't see how pedaling hard up a hill can break two swing arms, also looking at SC website recommended psi for 240lb is 210 maybe your running a bit hard and thats showing up a weakness in the build of your frame, only a guess good luck with it :thumbsup:
I was 210lb when I first got my Heckler probably 220lb in my gear, down to 190lb now Hecklers make you loose weight :) better than a diet:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've seen a bunch of swingarms (on other bikes) that broke while honking on the cranks up a hill rather than doing some stunt you'd expect to crack a frame. Usually happens with big powerful riders.

·
nopavement
59 Posts
Seriously doubt it would be caused by your pedaling, think of world class Tour riders that don't break rigid frames.
Did the first crack occur at the same spot?
I would send the frame and swing arm to SC for inspection.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm also sure that the weight of the pilot have an interaction, i weight 154. I have my Heckler since june 2007 and use it most of the time on freeride run, with high jump and drops, i bottom few times on heavy landing but never notice that kind of problem since 13 month now.

Now i remerber that i asked also 1 year ago to SC california "what was the limit of the bike", they answered me : "The Heckler is very sturdy...don't worry about jumps or drops."

That must me true for all Hecklers riders ...

·
Registered
96 Posts
thecrackerasscracker said:
this really sucks
So just out of pure curiosity, why would an XC rider need a bash guard?

Anyways, im really suprised by this. I am 6 foot 6 inches tall riding an XL 07 heckler with DHX air 5 and Float RLC and huck the hell out of this bike to tranny's, flats, you call it whatever, and the only thing ive broken is my hubs.

That sucks its happened 2x. Sorry man!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Cracker,
I just came on the board to post about the EXACT same thing. I've got the same crack in the same place! I think you are on to something. because I had the same theory about hard cranking. i'm not doing drops or crashing, but I do love to crank up steep hills. I had the same break a year ago on my older-style heckler and they replaced the whole bike with the new (post 2007) design. I hope they warranty it again, but I'm starting to believe that my riding style just doesn't fit with the single-pivot design.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.