Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
endorphin addict
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had this and found a fix? It only makes the noise when the suspension gets pretty active like standing up and romping on the pedals or just coasting and bouncing the suspension. I believe I eliminated any other causes, everything is tight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
BushPilot said:
Anyone had this and found a fix? It only makes the noise when the suspension gets pretty active like standing up and romping on the pedals or just coasting and bouncing the suspension. I believe I eliminated any other causes, everything is tight.
Im almost willing to bet that its not your suspesion pivot that is creaking. Try dropping your seat a mm or two, or tightening your seat collar. 99.9% of the time, is almost always the seat thats making that noise.

If that doesnt work, try tightening your seat contact to the post.

Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2007 Heckler had the same creaking noise. In the end I stripped and the main pivot axle, cleaned it all including the pinch bolts. Re-greased the axle, put loctite on the pinch bolts, put it all back together and all is well now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
BushPilot said:
I was waiting for that suggestion. If you read my post you will realize that it creaks when I am off the saddle completely.
Yhea, had the problem when I was off the seat too. Have you tried dropping it?

Other than that, what type of terrain are you riding? "Moon DIrt", Gravel, Hard pack single track, rocks? The other thing I have found is that just hosing down the bike and honing in on the pivot keeps it tip top, I use pipe cleaners on it before and that worked good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
just a reminder - when bolting the bearing clamp, be sure that its no more than 60 in-lbs, coz i over do mine and it cracked! had to order another set from SC.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My V5 Heckler has a creak and it's associated with the seat post being too loose in the seatpost tube and the noise only started when I wiped all the grease off the seatpost because no matter how tight the qr collar was the post would slip down 2" in a 30min ride.

I haven't taken any measurements of the inner seat post tube diameter or the thomson masterpiece post but there's definitely a little fwd/back rocking movement of the seatpost when raised 7"s for a normal seat height.

If it was my only bike I'd probably have done something by now, but I rode it yesterday and it was starting to get to me by the end. Rather embarrassing when people hear your bike creaking several hundred feet away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm having a similar problem myself on my 08 Heckler. I can't really figure out which one is the problem: seatpost, BB or pivot.

When I ride and pedal slow, it doesn't seem to make any sound. After a while, when I start riding fast and pedaling hard on inclines/uphills or even on flat paved trails/streets, that's when it makes that annoying creaking sound. I don't have any technical know-how on fixing bikes hence the purpose of the LBS. I dropped my bike last Friday, bike mech rode it yesterday and said nothing was creaking. Went back there today and he wasn't there so I rode it for 30-40 mins. The creaking sound came back and I don't know which part is making it. This happens when I'm standing trying to pedal real hard so that might eliminate the seatpost problem. I had a very heavy guy ride on it for a while pumping and bouncing to check if it was the pivot but there wasn't any sound. That might eliminate the pivot problem. Which leaves me one thing, might it be the BB?

It frustrates me a lot riding a very flashy bike while people look at you because it sounds that it's going to break apart.

I left the bike at the LBS until the mech comes back tomorrow.

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had a persistent creak in my latest gen Heckler that I recently fixed. Like some of you guys, I tried everything and darn near rebuilt the entire bike in an attempt to fix it. I rebuilt the suspension several times, but never used a torque wrench to tighten the pinch bolts on the swingarm. The creak persisted.

As a last resort, I bought a torque wrench and tightened the bolts to SC's recommendation (125 inch pounds) and the bike has been 100% creak free since. I know now that I previously wasn't tightening the pinch bolts enough, causing the creak. I'd really recommend buying a torque wrench, because you don't want to over tighten those bolts either. Apparently, SC posts torque specs on their website for a reason!

·
Registered
95 Posts
seat rails?

I recently developed an annoying creak/tick after a few months of riding my 07 Heckler.
It appeared after I applied some gritty grease to the seat post to keep it from slipping, which was an annoying problem as well. Turned out (after checking everything that I thought was obvious) to be the seat rails - guess the torque that had been causing the slipping post was then transferred to the rails. I'm still working on getting it cleared up - a little grease on the rails after cleaning the mud out from everything seems to be helping.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 04 Heckler would creak under mild stress or during climbs. I thought the creak was coming from my derailleur hanger/rear drop out because I was able to reproduce the same sound by applying some twisting pressure with my hands. So I would recommend to try that and see if you get a creak from the derailleur hanger.

For some reason, my derailler hanger was attached with allen wrench bolts/female chain ring bolts. The chain ring bolts have a slot in them and were really hard to remove/tighten.

Anyway, Santa Cruz sent me the proper allen wrench bolts. The told me to clean, grease everything, then reassemble using thread-lock. I did that and my creak is gone so far. I still haven't tried it on the trails, but that is where the creak was coming from.

Good luck with the creaky sound. My bike is creakless for now.

·
root killer
44 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread guys! I was about ready to eBay my Heckler!

I replaced my pivot, BB, and crankset and still no luck until I came on here! As soon as the dropout was suspect I ran downstairs and began to dissasemble. With the first turn of the bolt, I heard the creaking sound that had been the culprit all along. After some clean up and a little grease, I'm back in business... creak free. Thanks fellas.

Brad

·
Registered
56 Posts
another crazy solution i had for my heckler creak was i sourced it to the fact that the inner wires on my rear derailleur housing were rubbing on the inside of the end cap that goes on the housing. every time my suspension moved it made a terrible creaking sound. all better now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my 08 Nomad had a tick-click-creak that was driving me nuts. Pivots? no. Seat-post-collar? no. QR skewer? nope. I was at wits end. Cleaned my M540s, greased 'em up, tightened... and.... silence. Ah. Stoked.

Just an idea

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Parky said:
My 2007 Heckler had the same creaking noise. In the end I stripped and the main pivot axle, cleaned it all including the pinch bolts. Re-greased the axle, put loctite on the pinch bolts, put it all back together and all is well now.
That is the solution. No half-arse solution. Disassemble, grease, loctite, and torque. If you skip any of the steps you will likely have a return of the problem. Do the steps once and do it right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts