Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

I'm a total newbie to the mtn sport but i've been riding every weekend ever since i picked up my 08 piranha two months ago. Skill wise i'm starting to get pretty comfortable in the local black trails jumping logs and going down 1'-1.5' drops and i'm starting to wonder the limitations of my hardtail frame. I've upgraded most of the components on the bike already but obviously theres nothing you could do to the frame itself and i'm seeing more and more people with cracked frames which worries me.

Can this bike handle 2, 3, 4' feet drops? I'm about 5'9" @ 160lbs riding a medium frame with the stock seat post set all the way down. To be honest i don't think i would ever get to point where i would ever go higher than that but I would like to know what my frame limit is. How long is the warranty for GF frames?

Thanks guys,
Alan

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Alan L. said:
Can this bike handle 2, 3, 4' feet drops? I'm about 5'9" @ 160lbs riding a medium frame with the stock seat post set all the way down. To be honest i don't think i would ever get to point where i would ever go higher than that but I would like to know what my frame limit is. How long is the warranty for GF frames?

Thanks guys,
Alan
Fisher's warranty is a limited lifetime warranty. The limited part comes in when a frame is used or abused beyond it's intended purpose, they reserve the right to deny a warranty claim.

That said, I don't think that the Pirahna is intended for that type of use. IMHO, you'd be better served by something from this part of the Fisher line-up...

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/series/biggns

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm 6' 3" 220lbs riding a Tassajara (07). Yeah I mostly commute, but I hit the trails when I have time (love having two wheelsets). I've hit a number of good jumps and drops, the biggest was about 4 feet. So far the bike has held up great (except for a fork rebuild in the first month...but that was expected).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Drops on Piranhna

One of the bikes I ride is a 06 bone a$$ stock Pirahna. I've taken 3 to 4 foot drops and this bike has handled it (it's handled it better than my knees did). Oh by the way I'm not "small". 5'10" and 200lbs of pure white chocolate. If you want to jump and drop I would say buy a full suspension. I love my Pirahna for single track and climbing but it does have it's limitations.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did a drop as bout as tall as me (5'8", I'm also 165 so right around your size) yesterday on my 06' Kaitai...everything felt fine, except for bottoming out my petty 63mm fork, but I don't think I'll be doing that any more. Even though it felt plenty sturdy and I landed back tire first it was still a rough landing and I don't trust my frame to hold up to that to many times.

I'll probably restrict myself to 2-3' drops/jumps since I can't afford a frame right now, lol.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
It depends a lot on the 'drop' and your skills as a rider.
I've seen kids ride off 4-6 foot loading docks landing smoth as butter.
Since I've been known to bottom out the front fork at speed on an unexpected six inch gully I won't be doing any large drops if I can help it although small stuff doesn't bother me much.

If you crack the frame up from a hard hit or mis-hit on a 4' drop I'd expect the warranty might be denied.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.