Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took one of these out for a spin on a favorite local trail. It is a nice bike. Historically, I haven't been exactly enamored of Trek's MTB suspension, as my tastes run towards a more plush ride. Last year's Fuel EX update pushed the platform in the right direction, and the '08 evolution furthers that trend. All in all the big carbon Trek seems to be a very well mannered trail bike. The suspension performed well. Climbing was as it should have been on a 24.5 pound all carbon bike, but the descending was the true joy. And the Active Braking Pivot lived up to its promise. It really did seem to help keep the back end on the trail on rough, chattery descents.

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
I'm probably picking up one of these in an aluminum version if they put one specced out in the same price range as the current EX8 or 7.

Come august i will be pestering my local shop heh.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wheelhot said:
beautifull, simply beautifull. The 08 line is already available on the market? How come Trek havent update their website yet?
Not yet available. I just happen to know some guys who know some guys and one sort of fell out of a truck early-like.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mordy said:
I'm probably picking up one of these in an aluminum version if they put one specced out in the same price range as the current EX8 or 7.

Come august i will be pestering my local shop heh.
I was at my LBS yesterday and saw the brochure for the 08 EX line. The bikes listed in the brochure (and therefore, I'd assume the bikes receiving the new design) were the EX 9.5, 9.0 and the EX 8. I read some info earlier that indicated there would be two carbon versions and one aluminum. This would seem to confirm that and also the possibility that they've done away with the EX 9 (top aluminum version).

As for arrival dates, they didn't seem to have much of an indication... could be August, could be October. They also thought the EX 8 price should come in close to the 2007 price but from my perspective, that's a wait and see also. Given that the EX 9 might no longer be available, the 8 may come in at a middle of the road set-up and price (between the 8 and 9 of last year).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Steamer19 said:
I was at my LBS yesterday and saw the brochure for the 08 EX line. The bikes listed in the brochure (and therefore, I'd assume the bikes receiving the new design) were the EX 9.5, 9.0 and the EX 8. I read some info earlier that indicated there would be two carbon versions and one aluminum. This would seem to confirm that and also the possibility that they've done away with the EX 9 (top aluminum version).

As for arrival dates, they didn't seem to have much of an indication... could be August, could be October. They also thought the EX 8 price should come in close to the 2007 price but from my perspective, that's a wait and see also. Given that the EX 9 might no longer be available, the 8 may come in at a middle of the road set-up and price (between the 8 and 9 of last year).
The current edition of Mountain Bike Action Magazine says the 2008 line will be available in August/2007.

And if you look at the price drops on the 2007 Trek bikes, I guess that they are right. They even suggest that you don't spend your money on the 2007, since the 2008 is much better.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I e-mailed Trek last week. I want to order an 08 ex 9.0. I was told that the bikes are available, but there is a waiting list, so order now. He could not give me an ETA. The bikes should trickle into the bike shops in Aug and Sept.

·
Registered
89 Posts
jns2001 said:
I would like to order an 08 9.0, but with the 07 at 2,500 dollars, I think that I willsave some money and get the old version, regardless of the changes in the suspension.
is this just if the LBS has one left on the floor? or can shops get the 07's from trek for that price?

·
Registered
9 Posts
slip said:
is this just if the LBS has one left on the floor? or can shops get the 07's from trek for that price?
I really don't know.I called them here in Dallas and the person gave me the price by phone. I am planning to pick it on the 25th, since I am on vacations for 5 days...:)

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
anthonys said:
I took one of these out for a spin on a favorite local trail. It is a nice bike. Historically, I haven't been exactly enamored of Trek's MTB suspension, as my tastes run towards a more plush ride. Last year's Fuel EX update pushed the platform in the right direction, and the '08 evolution furthers that trend. All in all the big carbon Trek seems to be a very well mannered trail bike. The suspension performed well. Climbing was as it should have been on a 24.5 pound all carbon bike, but the descending was the true joy. And the Active Braking Pivot lived up to its promise. It really did seem to help keep the back end on the trail on rough, chattery descents.

Did you notice any significant amount of frame flex in the top tube? The '07 9.5 seemed very flexy in a 19.5" Just curious as to whether they made it stiffer or not.

mtnbikej

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.