Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took a look in the box of my new Fuel EX 9.0 and was met with disappointment. I read somewhere that some of the Evo links aren't machined quite right so they end up with this spacing issue between the link and the seat stays. I'm just curious if anyone else is having this same 'problem.' I remember seeing this same issue on another person's Fuel EX bike on some other internet review but I can't find it. I think he contacted Trek who said it was a manufacturing problem but since he was just reviewing the bike I'm not sure what came of it. I've emailed Trek but who knows how long it will be before I hear from them. Also, I'm not anywhere close to the dealer I bought it from and I'd feel like an a$$ taking it to another dealer and asking them to help take care of this problem after not buying from them.

I'd really appreciate some feedback. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good find Crasi, hopefully everything goes smoothly with my Remedy 9 purchase in a few months, it's a totally different EVO rocker arm so I highly doubt I will have this problem from the Fuel EX.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome

Thanks, that's the review I was talking about. Trek emailed me back but only asked what dealer I bought the bike from. I responded but haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully they'll just send me a new link. I don't like the sound of the evo link rubbing directly against the seat stay, that can't be good. That's unfortunate for Trek if this is something that is happening on quite a few bikes.

Has anyone else noticed this on their new Fuel EX's?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Umm, shouldn't your dealer have assembled it for you? Sounds a little fishy to me. I would return it to your "dealer"

·
Registered
38 Posts
off the box

cashtar said:
Umm, shouldn't your dealer have assembled it for you? Sounds a little fishy to me. I would return it to your "dealer"
it should have been delivered fully assembled to ensure safety standards set by trek. return it

·
An Army of Bikers
27 Posts
I would not feel like an a$$ taking it to another shop. If you got a better deal somewhere else then thats all there is to it. Take it to the closest shop and have them look at it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm still wondering why it looks like the pictures above are taken with the bike in a box, where did you buy it from? I've never walked out of an LBS with a properly assembled and double checked bike.. in a box...

·
Registered
90 Posts
The poster did mention that he bought it from a shop not close in proximity to where he lives. Maybe he bought it from a shop and they just shipped it in the box?

·
Team Captain
1,322 Posts
Hopefully Trek doesn't get word that shop is selling bikes in boxes and shipping them! That breaks every rule about being a Trek/Fisher dealer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ScaryJerry said:
Hopefully Trek doesn't get word that shop is selling bikes in boxes and shipping them! That breaks every rule about being a Trek/Fisher dealer.
That was my concern and why I thought it was weird. I've been a Trek rider since 1996 which isn't too long I guess compared to a lot of people on here but I didn't think that was acceptable to ship a bike in the box, no matter what non department store brand it is.

·
My other Auto is a .45
67 Posts
Just got home and checked my EX 7; I have the same problem. Thanks for the heads up on this issue.:thumbsup:

EDIT: Called the LBS where I purchased my EX 7 and they said they hadn't yet heard of the problem. I sent them the link via email and they said to bring the bike in and they will do whatever is necessary to get it fixed.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Darn that's a bummer to hear about the issues with the new evo links. Luckily Trek is usually pretty good with warranty issues. Hopefully it is something they can remedy at the factory. Too bad that means QC changes way over in china and not at home in waterloo but i guess that's just the changing face of the bike industry for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
sessionrider said:
Darn that's a bummer to hear about the issues with the new evo links. Luckily Trek is usually pretty good with warranty issues. Hopefully it is something they can remedy at the factory. Too bad that means QC changes way over in china and not at home in waterloo but i guess that's just the changing face of the bike industry for you.
What concerns me is the number of steps these poorly machined links passed. I used to be a CNC Programmer for a large company that made machines ranging from 1-7 million, granted thats a bit different than bicycle making, but after a part gets off the machine not only is it first checked by the operator, then checked by a QC, these links also went to the step of assembly which it looks like also passed without notice, really sad. I would have thought better from Trek. Cause I know I would have never let something like this happen. It doesn't look like a small batch either looks like quite a lot are bad.

I just can't think for a minute that whoever is making these Evo links for Trek is pumping them out so fast that they would easily miss something like this. The high end bike market is not that big, and I don't think Trek mass produces these high end bikes like Ford does with the Focus.. Or do they? I see high end mountain bikes like Ferraris. They definitely aren't in the same price range as a Kia.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The issue with the link is simply that the hole the bearing is pressed into is not deep enough (on the side with no visible gap, bearings press in from outside). My EX9 came with such a link. my LBS contacted Trek and replaced the link without question, it was painless.

the bike is great, i'd buy it again in a second. i only wish i could buy dry trails to ride it on...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Missing spacer ?

Is the EVO Link bad or is it that someone left out the spacer during assembly?

As you can see from the picture there is a spacer showing on one side. This sits

between the bearing and the frame.

I have seen that three times on 2007 EX bikes. A spacer missing and allowing the

rocker link to rub against the seatstay assembly.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah I know It's a great bike and I'm not really gonna let an issue that has been resolved effect my purchase, and like I said in an earlier post I'm going for the Remedy which uses a different shaped EVO link which I highly doubt would have the same issue. I was just a little mad a company I have trusted for quality would let something like this pass.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts