Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love a light, nimble climber (I'm in Colorado) but as a former motocross racer I love to let it rip on the downs. I don't want more than 4 inches of travel as I can keep up with longer travel bikes now on my short travel K2 Razorback. I've narrowed the field to the 08 Flux and the Yeti ASR. Which is a better fit for me?

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
As much as I love Yeti, I would go with Flux. Similar suspension on post FSR, pre DW Turner, same or better quality, I like the shock orientation better, no carbon parts, and there seems to be good deals available at $1200..

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
The carbon Yeti is 1lb lighter then the alloy Flux frame and the Yeti alloy is still 1/2 pound lighter if that matters.
Love turner bikes but i favor carbon as a frame material for performance xc/race bikes,takes the harshness out.

I would amagine the Flux to be less expensive.

·
The Martian
1,200 Posts
Ride them both?

I know you can get on the Yeti and take it for an actual ride pretty easily. I imagine you can get your hands on the Turner somewhere too.

I ride an ASR, so I'm just a bit biased ;) (of course Turner doesn't find it worthwhile to make bikes in my size, so there you go.)

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
If customer service is important get a Turner. I have not ridden a DW Turner yet but my 05 Flux is still going strong. I demo'ed an ASR and found the performance to be about the same but I feel the Turner climbs a bit better and is more comfy. One thing I hate about my Flux though is it gets choppy on rough downhills under braking. Changing the propedal setting fixes this but I don't always have time to flip the switch. .

On another note if you want a bike that is lighter and out-performs the aforementioned in every aspect get an Epiphany. I did and it lives up to the hype. Too bad the company sucks.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Bird said:
Love turner bikes but i favor carbon as a frame material for performance xc/race bikes,takes the harshness out.
OP usage did not sound like like performance xc/race, with him planning to overtake DH bikes, presumably bumping it along the way over immovable objects; and to take the harshness out, it is what suspension is for, isn't it? Ain't no hardtail here.

I did own an AS-R, and still own a Kokopelli, and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Yeti's. They fit slightly differently, and it does seem to me that in this particular case Turner is closer to the sweet spot for possibly less money. Both companies are top notch in my book, can't really go wrong here.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
bentfork said:
Customer service:)
Bushings:D
Light:thumbsup:
Durable;)
Do it all:D
need we say more:nono:
True, the bushings on my 05 Flux have never squeaked or needed replacement. just a little grease with a grease gun via the zerk fittings and voila. It has been very durable and the most low maintenance full suspension frame I have owned.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Gunnar steel hardtail with a Fox F100. :D

I had a K2 razorback that I loved (until it broke)
Then I had a Yeti ASR that I loved (until it broke)

It's hard to beat the Razorback. If you've got to replace it, the ASR is a great bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another couple questions on these two bikes, especially interested in opinions of someone who's ridden both:

Which (Turner Flux or Yeti AS-R) is designed more as a race bike, and which is more of a trail bike? (I know both companies consider these race bikes within their lineups, but how about as far as a head-to-head?)I know the Yeti is lighter as mentioned above, but geometry and handling wise, how would you compare?

I know Turner has DW-Link now. Is Yeti single pivot, or some other type of susp geometry?

Many thanks. I'm also considering these two for a future purchase.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Yeti is not a single pivot. If you say such things, then Specialized and their zealots have not only fooled you into thinking this one pivot position is a whole suspension design, not just an element of one of a variety of suspensions, but also that if one doesn't have that pivot, a multitude of other pivots actually don't exist (even if those other pivots have proven to be more influential, such as the three pivots about the Turner rocker). The Yeti has a flex-pivot, and it's also far from a "single pivot", as is the Turner.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vikingfan said:
I know the Yeti is lighter as mentioned above, but geometry and handling wise, how would you compare?
I have ridden both extensively.

Unless your a racing pro - you should discount weight in this comparison.
The Turner is stiffer, more forgiving, and more durable.
The Yeti has a simple, yet effective, design and usual better price (now way better with Turners high 09 prices).
Both handle well, both benefit from a platform shock (talking 08 Flux - though the 09 Flux may not need this with the DW link).
The extra travel and stiffness make the Flux the more confident ride.
The Yeti will suit a shorter torso, longer leg type all other factors being equal.

Price concerned and seeking value = deal on 08 Flux or if none then Yeti
Ultimate weight build for pro racer = Yeti ASR (or better yet get an ARC)
Better allround bike = Turner Flux
Better company (no trade restrictions) = Turner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.