Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ferdball

My shock looks similar lot of what I would call excess oil on it. Took it back to the LBS who looked and said keep and eye on it.

I thought it was too much, but not sure how 'wet' an air shock runs? Mine seens to be more than the others I ride with. If it becomes a real problem then I will ask nicely for a new one.

Also noticed that my RP2s custom tune bit is the middle compression bar, yours being on the small guess they really do custom tune them!!!!

Laters

Dom

·
Registered
849 Posts
Firstly clean the damn thing!!!! excess dirt like that can find a way under seals and car damage your shock.

as for the leak - the fox floats do run with the shaft lubricated, i wouldnt worry to much untill you see it dripping onto the floor thats when u go "aww S&%#" i really wouldnt worry about it but keep it clean!

·
WooHoo Biking!!!!
205 Posts
I have an RP23 and oil residue appears on the shock body after I ride, especially in the heat. I contacted Fox to see if it is normal. They said that it is okay for a little oil to appear and to clean it off after each ride. They also said that you should start worrying when the oil doesn't appear after a ride.

·
Titanium Club
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
goodvibe said:
I have an RP23 and oil residue appears on the shock body after I ride, especially in the heat. I contacted Fox to see if it is normal. They said that it is okay for a little oil to appear and to clean it off after each ride. They also said that you should start worrying when the oil doesn't appear after a ride.
So, is there a maintenance schedule where we have to eventually add oil to the shock?

G

·
I know I'll hear s%&+ for this, but I add oil every few rides by "injecting" a few drops under the seal (use an old Triflow bottle filled with suspension fluid with the hose cut at a 45° angle). Works like a charm.

·
Titanium Club
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
goodvibe said:
If you click here, you can see the service intervals posted by Fox.
http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/2008_om_eng.htm
So, authorized service is needed every 100 riding hours. I didn't realize that I'd need to pay a shop to service the shock every year. For reference, I never had my 04 NRS1 serviced and it never leaked.

I cleaned the bike and will ride it for a bit. I'll see if it leaks more or less than before. If its more, I'll be taking it in to Trek for a look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.