Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am an owner of a 08 diamondback response sport and i wanted to upgrade my tires to a size 26x2.3 will they fit through the frame? or rub? thanks...

·
Registered
553 Posts
+1 on the nevegals. The stock tires suck IMO. They're sort of like WTB Velociraptor knock offs. Spend the extra green on good tires and it will be night and day.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Will the 2.3 fit on a stock response sport rim? My rim states that the stock size is over the limit already. Is this just their disclaimer or would I have problems?

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
It should be ok. The stock tires look like some 2.3's and I think it would be wise to go no larger. Even a 2.1 Nevega would suffice, IMO:thumbsup: .

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think you'll find the Nevegal to be a great tire in 2.1, and if I remember right they run a little big. My 2.1 WTB Exiwolf tires run around 2.2 on my rims despite being labeled as 2.1. They use a different sizing chart that I think is more accurate.

They use a system called GMS (Global Measuring System) that measures a tire on a 20mm wide rim at 60 psi left for 24hrs. They measure the inside casing width and the outside tread width. So my Exiwolfs run in at 52/56. That's 52mm casing width and 56mm tread width. Take those numbers and convert to inches then average the two numbers to get the stated tire width:

52/25.4=2.05 (rounded to the nearest hundredth) 56/25.4=2.20 (again to the nearest hundredth) average the two: 4.25/2= 2.125 or rounded to 2.1.

Although for clearance issues always use the higher number. So for me 2.2 is the only number I needed. Hope that wasnt too confusing. Its actually a better system them just slapping on the nearest common inch measurement as it can eliminate any fit issues. I wish all manufacturers would use the GMS system as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts