Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking to buy a DH bike but based on funds and such I have dropped my budget. The 08-09 DHR is right in there but I was wondering how it compares to modern geo, spring rates, etc. Is it really dated technology?

Also, is that pushing the limit for age of buying a used bike assuming the other person actually rode it?

Thanks all

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have an 09 DHR, I feel I have it pretty dialed for me and I am pretty much in love with that bike.

There are lots of other things I drool over but I question how happy I would be with them.

This bike fits my wants and desires very well though, its poppy, I can throw it around and dive in to a section or landing exactly like I envision, almost every time I get in a panic situation where I think I just pushed it too far, its surprised me at its willingness to hang on.

I ride solely for fun though, getting fast laps or shredding gnar lines with ease are just an added bonus for the day.

If you can find a good used one for a fair price I would hop on it in a second. In ways I do think a DW version would be a step in the right direction, but for my taste, not in all ways.

If you do a little research you will find out there are lots of awesome DH bikes for good prices and quickly which ones leave a bit left to be desired.

My only real pieve if, IF, I were to make one is the linkage bolts are a little small by todays standards, they come loose and thats a very easy fix until you wrench it the 1/16th of a turn more and snap the bolt. So if you get one, first day you do, do yourself a huge favor and take one of the bolts out, take it to your local hardware supply and buy a dozen (no they don't break that often but a dozen will run you about $3.00 for bolts, nylock nuts and washers) Don't fret about breaking it on trail though. I am sure it has happened but I have had mine since 09 and the only time it has ever broken is when snugging them back up, its never left me stranded or numerous friends who have or have had round tube DHR's.

Hope you find something you like to ride.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

The only thing I don't like about a Sunday from that era is that IH is no longer making anything remotely like it (as far as I know) so replacement parts are not easy to come by. However, Turner has a great replacement warranty so if/when it dies, getting a newer DHR would be cheaper and easier.

Thanks for the info on the DHR. I will also just be riding for fun and MAYBE a race some day but I don't care that much to start. So as long as it is fun and reliable, I think I would be fine. I have also heard the bearings on the main pivot need a bit of maintenance but that doesn't worry me too much. I would probably replace the bolt with a grade 8 right away.

Does anyone have a thoughts on an M6? I read they have some seat tube rub on full compression but for the most part they are nice, are there other problems I don't know about? Does anyone have other bikes that I could likely find for under 2k?

Thanks!

·
Professional Troll
2,786 Posts
There haven't been any major tweaks to DH bikes in a very long time. Most are just minor improvements on an already dialed design. DH bike geo was basically figured out in 2001 (Intense M1). And shockingly (not really), its nearly identical to MX bike geometry. Now it's just suspension kinematics and shocks that are changing a little bit every year. Most of it is just marketing though. As long as an older bike isn't gonna break, it's probably more than adequate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2009 DHR, that I ride about a dozen times a year. It is a great bike and has served me well. Before this one I had one of the old square tube ones that also served me very well. My only complaints are that It gets brake jack and is not the plushest bike out there, especially in the small chop. The DHR, IH sunday or an intense M3 would be the used bikes I would consider...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.