Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this quote on another thread -
El Ciclon gets rear travel bumped up to a full 140mm (5.5") with a new rocker design, quad bearings, a switch to a 2 ¼" stroke Fox RP23 rear shock, and is designed around a Fox 140mm fork (511mm a-c, 39mm offset).
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

is is possible to just switch out the rockers from an 08 ciclon to the 09 rockers and increase travel? will I have to get a shock with a longer stroke?

I currently have the quad bearing and RP23 rear shock paired with the Pike 454 air u- turn front fork at 140mm.

and now the real question how much are the rockers and when/ where can I get them?

thanks!
merry Christmas!
Chris

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
To get the 140mm you have to have a 2.25" stroke shock.

I'm sure you can get them from Ventana direct and any of their dealers. One caveat, the unsagged BB height is higher. With the proper sag, laden BB height should be roughly the same.

D.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I did this exact same upgrade to my El Ciclon. The rockers are $225 and can be purchased directly from Ventana or through your Ventana dealer. I got mine from Mountain High Cyclery.

You do need a 2.25" stroke shock to get the full 140mm travel. I had a spare 2" stroke RP23 and sent it to PUSH to get the factory tune, a gonzo valve (needed for <2008 model RP23s) and to get the stroke changed from 2" to 2.25". The 7.875x2 and 7.875x2.25 are basically the same shock and only need one part swapped out to change the stroke from one to the other.

I say go for it! It's been a great upgrade. :thumbsup:

JP

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeremyp111 said:
I did this exact same upgrade to my El Ciclon. The rockers are $225 and can be purchased directly from Ventana or through your Ventana dealer. I got mine from Mountain High Cyclery.

You do need a 2.25" stroke shock to get the full 140mm travel. I had a spare 2" stroke RP23 and sent it to PUSH to get the factory tune, a gonzo valve (needed for <2008 model RP23s) and to get the stroke changed from 2" to 2.25". The 7.875x2 and 7.875x2.25 are basically the same shock and only need one part swapped out to change the stroke from one to the other.

I say go for it! It's been a great upgrade. :thumbsup:

JP
how much was the Push travel change? other than the gonzo valve did you have any other Pushing done to your RP23?
I "think" my RP23 is a '08 model but I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
cbchess said:
how much was the Push travel change? other than the gonzo valve did you have any other Pushing done to your RP23?
I "think" my RP23 is a '08 model but I am not sure.
I was quoted around $100 for an older RLC which was previously Pushed.
I have always loved the shock after Push and it will go on my new El Ciclon, with the 2.25 conversion.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I wonder if anyone can elucidate exactly the difference in performance going from the 0.5" travel increase and a 2.25" stroke shock? I went with a coil shock with the new rockers, not knowing of the Push option to increase the stroke on a Fox R. Seems more plush and perhaps more balanced with the front (RS Pike) but the difference in shocks is probably the big difference in feel and performance for me.

·
Registered
804 Posts
cbchess - PUSH changed the shock from 2" stroke to 2.25" stroke. As to how much the shock stroke changed is responsible for the 10mm travel increase vs the rocker, I'm not sure. I do know that they are both needed to get the full 140mm travel. When I sent my shock to PUSH I had them tune the shock for my size and riding style, change the stroke from 2" to 2.25" and add the Gonzo valve. To verify if your RP23 is a 2008 model or not, take a look at the valve. If it comes out of the side of the shock at an angle then it's a 2008 model. Otherwise, on earlier models, the valve comes directly out the side of the shock and wouldn't be accesible with a shock pump because it would be blocked by the rockers. This is why a gonzo valve is needed for models years prior to 2008.

rockman - I can say, from my experience, that the .5" travel increase and PUSH'd RP23 has made for a very plush ride. It feels as if the bike is now using all of it's available travel. I'm not sure how much more a coil shock increases that feel or not as I've never ridden a coil shock before. I will say, however, that I truly feel that a coil isn't needed. At least for me.

JP

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
jeremyp111 said:
rockman - I can say, from my experience, that the .5" travel increase and PUSH'd RP23 has made for a very plush ride. It feels as if the bike is now using all of it's available travel. I'm not sure how much more a coil shock increases that feel or not as I've never ridden a coil shock before. I will say, however, that I truly feel that a coil isn't needed. At least for me.
JP
Well, I'm #210 so maybe I'm toward's the upper end of an air shock. There was a noticeable performance increase with a Pushed R but it still suffered mid-stroke wallow and I would bottom out on 2 to 4' drops with a 30-33% sag. Lots of pedal strikes when climbing while seated. The bike climbs much better with a coil that's for sure. The .5" travel increase, I don't know, but I would have done it anyway:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.