Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I Like Bicycles
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the minor tweaks of the 08 worth spending the extra cash over a newly discounted 07 model?

My main concern is the new hydroformed tubing at the front. Does it make that much of a difference? Has anyone actually ridden this "considerably reinforced" lizard? Press releases say that it has been beefed up quite a bit.

I'm sorta torn, but atleast I know I want a Chameleon.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,612 Posts
It is hard to say.....they are not yet available.

Seems as though the big changes are designed more for those wanting to run SS. The EBB and the elimination of the horizontal drops will make a considerable differnce.

The lack of horizontal drops will make changing flats quite a bit easier.

Keep in mind that retail for the old frame was $550. The new frame in powdercoat only goes up to $575 or $595 and that includes the EBB. The anodized version will be up over $700+.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd grab a good deal on the 07. I don't care for the EBB really, give me horizontal dropouts or slider style droupouts for single speed. Also...who really thinks the Chameleon needed beefing up? I mean seriously, it's already a bombproof hardtail.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
I also read / heard that the '08 can take more travel up front (160/170mm?) compared to the '07 (140mm). So something to consider, and probably a reason as to why they beefed it up.

Can't say the look of the BB is impressive to me, but then again I don't know anything on that topic. Frame looks nice in the close up pics though.

·
I Like Bicycles
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ducktape said:
I also read / heard that the '08 can take more travel up front (160/170mm?) compared to the '07 (140mm). So something to consider, and probably a reason as to why they beefed it up.

Can't say the look of the BB is impressive to me, but then again I don't know anything on that topic. Frame looks nice in the close up pics though.
I'm running a Marz AM1 right now at 130mm and I don't plan on going any higher. But I do really want the hydroformed tubing.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,612 Posts
ducktape said:

Uhhhh, the '07 was capable of running up to 150mm.

·
HIKE!
1,657 Posts
Eccentric BBs are no problem, I've had them on our off road tandems for years, touring tandem too. Pretty much standard fare on a tandem and off road that bike gets beat up badly.

I've had single speeds with sliding drop outs, horizontal dropouts and EBBs, and find the EBB the most reliable of the solutions. Main thing is to set it up right and tight from the beginning and you'll have few worries. But no need to debate as it looks like SC is onboard with the EBB and I doubht kvetching here will change anything!

My 08 Chameleon will be my SS, so I welcome the EBB.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I am really on the fence here also. I want a hardtail to built up as my fun play around bike, and so my wife has something to ride occasionally. I found a good deal on an 07 frame ($350), but just can't pull the trigger.

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
If you don't need an EBB and/or don't care about hydroformed tubing, go with the '07. They're cheaper and are not lacking one bit in the "beef" department.

I beat the living crap out of my '05 without so much as a hiccup. In fact, I sold it because it was beating me up. I also never had any problems w/ the horizontal drops w/ gears. The wheel is not hard to get off, and you just have to remember to crank the hell out of the QR...or use a bolt-on.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
So aside from the well said posts, let's use some logic.

Is the '07 SL better than the previous model?

Is the late '07 Heckler a better bike than the previous model?

Did the Blur become a better bike in '06 when they refined the line?

So........is the '08 Chamelon a better bike than the '07?

Consider history and track record.

·
I Like Bicycles
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SNPete said:
So aside from the well said posts, let's use some logic.

Is the '07 SL better than the previous model?

Is the late '07 Heckler a better bike than the previous model?

Did the Blur become a better bike in '06 when they refined the line?

So........is the '08 Chamelon a better bike than the '07?

Consider history and track record.
That wasn't really my question. I simply wondering if the 08 was worth the extra cash over a cheaper 07.

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
I just found another pic of the exentric bottombracket.
I hope it will hold up,I like this system more than those horizontal dropouts wich are a hazzle for me to change the rearwheel,keep the wheel aligned for with the brakes and so on.
On the other hand I heard that exentric BB's tend to creak...

RaD

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.