Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just became the proud new owner of a Bullit:D Starting to get parts for the build and hung up about what cranks I want to use.

"The Bullit uses a 73mm bb shell, so make sure you always get something compatible with that. For either of the 150x12mm through axle options, you will want a 56-57.5mm chainline. Our favorite is the Truvativ Holzfeller Howitzer. Get the 73x56 (chainline) bb for this system. Other options are the Raceface Diabolus cranks. You will need the "83mm" version, along with their "68/73mm adaptor kit".

I have the 150x12mm thru axle in the rear, but really want to run the new Saints. Would it be possible to use the 83mm bb version of the saints and then use Raceface 83-73mm conversion in order to get the proper chainline? Has anyone run this setup? What do you think? Also I plan on running the e13 SRS and want to be 100% certain that I won't run into chainline problems with this setup. Thanks for all the help:thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
al_Bullit
So u run the normal saint designed for the 73mm shell and have no shifting problems what so ever?!? It seems like that would really screw up the chainline, but I guess if it works, it works:thumbsup:

Sugar_brad
Your setup is simple cause you have 135x10mm which uses a standard 50mm chainline so their are no modifications necessary.

I'm really hoping somebody else will chime in. I have searched the forums and found some users have run the raceface bb conversion on their older VP Frees and have had excellent results. Just really hoping to find out if some of the Bullit owners have run this setup and how it works. Thanks again for all the help!!

EDIT: Decided to email Santa Cruz bikes directly! I'll update my post when I get a reply.

·
Registered
471 Posts
zubster89 said:
al_Bullit
So u run the normal saint designed for the 73mm shell and have no shifting problems what so ever?!? It seems like that would really screw up the chainline, but I guess if it works, it works:thumbsup:
Correct. I originally had a 135mm QR rear, but I bought a floating arm and, like you, pondered how to do the 83mm thing (without using crap cranks or spending a fortune). I figured I'd try the new rear end with the same cranks and it worked so I left it. I've run all season like it with no issues what-so-ever.

If I had of had issues my plan was to mount the chainring on the outside of the crank tabs, but I never had to do it. The floating arm mount would foul the crank if I mounted it square, but its a ball joint so I rotated it a couple of mm back and it clears easily. All good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what Santa Cruz Bikes had to say:

"Yes, you can get it to work with the Race Face adaptor kit. It isn't the easiest thing to get the chainline dialed, due to all of the different spacers you will need, but it can definitely work. The E-thirteen SRS should bolt right on- no problem."

It looks like I'm gonna go this route! Again, thanks for all the help.
By the way props to Santa Cruz, emailed them in the morning and they got back to me same day!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.