Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just ordered an 08 7 Point frame of rscycle and am looking for some advice. It seems to me that every 08 7 Point I have seen looks really raked out and like the top tube is rediculously long. Is this just me? Because of this I am having trouble deciding whether to get a Fox 36 or a Rock Shox Totem because of their different heights. Can someone help me out with this? Also, I have a build list basically completed, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Medium 7 Point
Holzfeller OCT DH 1.1 Crankset White
38 tooth DH Ring 4 Bolt
Maxxis Advantage 2.4” tires- 1690g
Avid Elixr CR Brakes- 1000g
X9 shifter and derailleur-
MRP G2 Guide ISCG Mount White- 265g
Holzfeller Bar White 40mm rise
Holzfeller Stem White 40-50mm
Mavic Deetrax wheelset, Rear in 150mm- 2260g
ODI Ruffian Grips 90g-
RockShox Totem Coil w/ proper spring- 2882
Sram PG 990 Cassette 11-32 275g
FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5 Headset 172.2g
WTB DEVO SLT saddle- 195g
Easton EA 70 30.8mm seatpost- 205g
Easton Flatboy Pedals- 572g

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a Talas36 (160mm) and a Domain 318 (180mm) that I run on my 08 7-Point.

I think the Talas36 is 545mm crown to axle
I think the Domain 318 is 565 crown to axle (don't quote me on these)

I measured the following head angles (using a crappy sears protractor):

Domain 318: 66.5 deg head angle
Talas @160mm: 67.5
Talas @130mm: 69
Talas @100mm: 70.5

Again, these are all really rough measurements. I run the Domain 318 for big downhill stuff (Bootleg Canyon), and the Talas36 for all mountain riding.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NorcoRider said:
So would you guys say that your bikes ride pretty well? Like whats your overall impression on them
IMO I wouldn't run less than a 180mm fork like the 66 that it comes with when you buy the factory build. It is quick enough in the tight corners for me with that fork and well balanced. You will see when you get the frame that it is seriously beefy - so much so that a smaller/shorter fork like the FOX 36 will seem out of place on a bike like that. I am selling my 66 to get a boxxer world cup. Honest advice, not just trying to unload the fork:) http://www.swfreeride.com/freeride-forums.html?func=view&catid=16&id=719#719

Almost forget to answer your question:) I love the way it rides. I can't imagine riding another freeride bike. Once you get the suspension setup properly it plows through stuff like a longer travel bike and has almost no brake jack. Excellent bike, even without the cost considered.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
NorcoRider said:
Hey guys. I just ordered an 08 7 Point frame of rscycle and am looking for some advice. It seems to me that every 08 7 Point I have seen looks really raked out and like the top tube is rediculously long. Is this just me? Because of this I am having trouble deciding whether to get a Fox 36 or a Rock Shox Totem because of their different heights. Can someone help me out with this? Also, I have a build list basically completed, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Medium 7 Point
Holzfeller OCT DH 1.1 Crankset White
38 tooth DH Ring 4 Bolt
Maxxis Advantage 2.4" tires- 1690g
Avid Elixr CR Brakes- 1000g
X9 shifter and derailleur-
MRP G2 Guide ISCG Mount White- 265g
Holzfeller Bar White 40mm rise
Holzfeller Stem White 40-50mm
Mavic Deetrax wheelset, Rear in 150mm- 2260g
ODI Ruffian Grips 90g-
RockShox Totem Coil w/ proper spring- 2882
Sram PG 990 Cassette 11-32 275g
FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro 1.5 Headset 172.2g
WTB DEVO SLT saddle- 195g
Easton EA 70 30.8mm seatpost- 205g
Easton Flatboy Pedals- 572g
Personally I like Formula brakes far better than Avids. I always use XT cassettes instead of Sram - seem to be tougher and last longer. Everything else looks pretty good. I have a set of Easton Flatboy's for sale if you haven't already bought some.

Cheers,

G

·
Registered
385 Posts
So would you guys say that your bikes ride pretty well? Like whats your overall impression on them
Very happy with mine, it is a true do it all bike with the adjustable travel fork on it (talas36). Steep seattube angle+slack head angle = great all mountain bike.

For downhilling I'm pretty happy as well (with a longer fork (180mm domain) on it). Not as good as a true downhill bike, but pretty good.

IMO I wouldn't run less than a 180mm fork like the 66 that it comes with when you buy the factory build
Depends on the riding you do - I do a bunch of technical climbing (National Trail in PHX for example) and it is really really nice to have a talas36 on the front. Same goes for rides that are more "severe XC" than AM or DH (like Moab stuff). If it were mostly a gravity bike then I'd leave the big fork on it.

It seems to me that every 08 7 Point I have seen looks really raked out and like the top tube is rediculously long. Is this just me?
Nope - I find the head angle and the top tube length just right. Those were my two biggest complaints about my 06 7-Point, and the 08 7-Point got both of them just right. The only downside to the 08 frame is the standover height isn't exceptional like the previous years (but it is still pretty good).

Build:
- ditto on the XT cassettes vs sram
- I've had better luck with shimano chains as well
- FSA cranks are my preference (external cup bottom brackets)
- you'll need a 30.0 seatpost

(now that I see that you are running a single ring front - go with the Totem)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I am not planning on pedaling this bike at all other than maybe a 5 minute ride into one of our local trails. I think i am going to go with the totem as I entered a Race series earlier this week so that extra travel will be a big plus for the races.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.