Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone snap a pic of their RD cable as it goes over the top of the BB and crosses over the the drive side. i can't tell how to run it w/o bending the crap out of the housing. i know some people like to run under the BB, but i'll stick to Yeti's way for now. Thanks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
CheapTrek said:
could someone snap a pic of their RD cable as it goes over the top of the BB and crosses over the the drive side. i can't tell how to run it w/o bending the crap out of the housing. i know some people like to run under the BB, but i'll stick to Yeti's way
ofor now. Thanks.
kinda small, from the 2010 user manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
967 Posts
CheapTrek said:
thanks! i hope i don't kink it, grace isn't one of my qualities.
definitely put something on the cable or the BB shell - like DVO1 has the cable protector thingy .... the cable will eat into your BB shell, in my experience.

·
Registered
967 Posts
dvo1 said:
Here is a pic. of mine.
hey dvo1, off topic, but when you installed your BB and cranks. did you use the one spacer on the drive side, as directed? And then, did you basically have to spin the little thing on the non-drive side crank arm all the way in to take up the space on the spindle? Is that really how the left/right adjustment works on the XTR crankset? Seems so odd ... no real force holding the spindle left to right. I mean, if you take a rubber mallet, could you move your cranks back to the drive side just a bit? What's actually holding it in place left to right?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I put the spacer on the drive side, mine is a 07 front with a 09 rear.

I didn't have to spin the side load nut very far, you are just trying to get the side to side slop out of the BB not put load on the bearings.

·
Registered
967 Posts
dvo1 said:
I put the spacer on the drive side, mine is a 07 front with a 09 rear.

I didn't have to spin the side load nut very far, you are just trying to get the side to side slop out of the BB not put load on the bearings.
hmm. interesting. the bb shells are the same, so that shouldn't matter. I think I spun that nut as far out as it would go.

I guess I don't see how that "side load nut" actually applies any side to side load. It moves towards the BB, but it never pushes on anything...so I don't see how it would take up any "slop" ( not there is really any slop, but like I said, I can't see anything stopping the side to side movement )

thanks for the info, and taking part in the thread hijack....sorry cheaptrek.

·
Brit on a trip
453 Posts
Its a small detail but I zip tie the two cable together at the point just ahead of the main pivot. That tends to lift the gear cable off the bottom bracket shell. It will grind its way through the paint and into the metal in time, especially if you ride in muddy conditions.

Some helicopter tape or similar at the contact points where the cable housing/brake hose rub on the swing arm would be a good idea as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts