Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
09 Stumpy, 203 front, 185 rear. But I ride a size L. I'm 6'3 220 lbs. On long descents I have noticed the front brakes are very sensitive compared to the rear. I have learned to adjust for this by feathering the front. I can't say about the 160mm. I'm not sure it would be worth the money to switch them out.

·
jcard14
154 Posts
I am on an 07 SJ, 203 front and 185 rear I believe....regardless of what I currently have I am going to 160 on both, I will report back once I have a few rides under my belt.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the response & great info.

most of the fast and steep descents where iam have become quite technical, rutted and rocky - after some recent heavy rains, now its hot again and my poor brakes are only just able to cope.

i'm using a Magura Marta SL brakeset with a Magura drilled 160mm rotor upfront and 160mm Marta SL rear, i was wondering wether to run with drilled 160mm rotors front & back to help with all this extra heat and fade.

but have decided to up them both to 185mm and benefit from the larger surface area.

cheers and looking forward to the update jcard14

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Those SL's use mineral oil, it heats up and boils inside the brake way to fast. This is the real problem you are having on the downhill sections. IMHO you should run Avid Codes up front with those 185mm rotors. They are filled with either 4.1 or 5.1 brake fluid and the boil temperature is over 450 degrees F. The SL with a 160mm rotor on the back is enough.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
PB Matrix said:
Those SL's use mineral oil, it heats up and boils inside the brake way to fast. This is the real problem you are having on the downhill sections. IMHO you should run Avid Codes up front with those 185mm rotors. They are filled with either 4.1 or 5.1 brake fluid and the boil temperature is over 450 degrees F. The SL with a 160mm rotor on the back is enough.
that's okay, the mrs has some older Avids on her old mtn bike and really loathes them - especially compared to her 08 Stumpjumper Carbon Pro with Marta SL with a 180mm drilled rotor upfront w/ 160mm SL back + Swiss Stop pads & Goodridge thin wall hoses.

i'm using Goodridge (high pressure) thin wall hoses with 07 Marta's + usually a drilled 160mm rotor upfront with 160mm SL back, with Magura organic pads. most of our training rides end with a 2,000ft descend in 4-6 miles of switch backs with temps often in the 80ºs before noon. rotors glow quite often - but so far never boiled any (non-toxic) mineral oil enough for the brakes not to work.

...now the trails have been made alot more technical by the rains (which isn't all bad at all) i have to tweek more performance from the brakes i have already - probably with a high temp black ceramic painted 180mm drilled rotor upfront 180mm SL back + a fresh set of Swiss Stop organic brake pads.

peace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.