Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Absolutely screw it up. Even those who've used a shorter shock on the Free to lower the rear and lessen travel have at least used forks like the Van 36 or 66SL in the 160mm-180mm range. I wouldn't even put a 150mm fork on my Nomad, though it's a more workable combination than on a Free. jpk, it sounds like a mismatch deluxe and maybe a pursuit of the wrong bike to begin with.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
jpk1080 said:
i was curious if putting a 150 mm travel fork, such as a z1, would screw up the geo on say a vp free with almost 9 inches of travel. thanks
Go with the '07 66 RC ETA - I am loving it! compressing the fork down with the eta for climbs is great, and the fork is buttery smooth - very stiff

That's what's on my Free

·
Registered
552 Posts
I say go for it if you are looking for a ride with an XC feel to it. But if you aren't then slap it on anyway and pick up shorter travel frame shock. The front the the free is raked out enough to run a shorter travel fork but only if you are looking for a more XC feel that has AM potential

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
stylie said:
I say go for it if you are looking for a ride with an XC feel to it. But if you aren't then slap it on anyway and pick up shorter travel frame shock. The front the the free is raked out enough to run a shorter travel fork but only if you are looking for a more XC feel that has AM potential
yes, by all means, buy a slack, long-travel, big-hit freeride bike, and then spend a bunch of $ turning into an "all mountain" or "xc" bike....maybe some nice light xc wheels and tires that can crumple on impact for example....

rather than starting with say, a Nomad? or 5 Spot?

or getting a fork that is appropriate for a freeride bike?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
macrider said:
yes, by all means, buy a slack, long-travel, big-hit freeride bike, and then spend a bunch of $ turning into an "all mountain" or "xc" bike....maybe some nice light xc wheels and tires that can crumple on impact for example....

rather than starting with say, a Nomad? or 5 Spot?

or getting a fork that is appropriate for a freeride bike?
he stated "an XC feel"

Besides, why would he want to go out and buy another frame (Nomad or 5 Spot) when he already has a free? If it is his only bike then he has to do with it what he can. Convirting a VPFree into an AM bike is not unheard of. Read some of the other posts regarding the VPFree

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
JPK1020, you wouldn't be the only one to run a 6 inch fork on a vp-free

Let's see.... the changes you will experience if you run a 6 inch fork is a lower BB, which isn't half bad due to the Free having such a high BB anyway. And, your steering will be a tad bit more responsive( that is if you could even tell a difference). Granted most people will say to suck it up and run at least a 7 inch fork since the bike was designed around a 170-203mm fork, but it's your bike and run it the way you want. I personally don't see how your bike would be totally screwed up if you ran a shorter travel fork, and I say this from experience. Last year I was able to ride a free with a 36 on the front and I liked the way it felt. But again your call.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.