Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got Avid Juicy Ultimates on my new race bike and would like to run centerlock rotors with it. The new XTR rotors look like an excellent design- floating rotor, very lightweight, and very laterally stiff- and they come in a 140mm for the rear, so I'd really like to use them. However, the aluminum spider on the rotor appears to hit the tab on the inner (rider's right) brake pad.

It only clips it a little, but I'm reluctant to file any material off the aluminum spider on the rotor for fear of weakening it. The only other solution I can think of is to try and clip or grind off the tab on the brake pad, which doesn't seem very easy, especially without contaminating or damaging the pad itself.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
You could use a centerlock to 6-bolt adaptor (DT makes a nice one if I recall) or just use a 160mm rotor, not much heavier and it's not like additional braking power could hurt. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of going with a 140mm...

The best way to be sure everything is compatible is to use the rotor that fits the calipers. Going XTR-XTR or Ultimates-Ultimates... I use Hope two-piece rotors on Shimano Xt calipers and had similar issues you are having except that I could easily shave a bit of material from the calipers to make everything work.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Use a vice to hold the pad and try cutting the tab off with dremel. But leave enought so you can change the brake pads. Either that or bend the tab.

Getting an adaptor for centerlock and or changing to a 160mm rotor would also mean getting an adaptor for the caliper.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Breaking them off

I've decided I'm going to try and cut off the tab. I figure I can always use a pick and a needle-nose to change pads, and it won't affect the pad while in use. Thanks for the help, guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.