Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 07 XTR cranks came in the mail today.

They look awesome. Weigh is about 775 grams on a not so great scale.

The adjustments look way better than last years. You can probably adjust side to side play using only a 2.5mm allen key although its easier with this little plastic tool thats included.

Removing the crank requires an 8mm allen key and a large nut (not part of the crank) that serves the same purpose as the outer cap on race face cranks.

As far as adjustments go....you don't have to remove the cranks to adjust them but removing them is a little harder that X-type or last years XTR.

Anyone know how I can make them lighter? Since shimano rings shift well I'd probably like to keep them but I guess I could get ti bolts.

Anyone know a good store online for ti bolts?

thanks.

·
Registered
970 Posts
ti bolts aren't any lighter than the aluminium bolts already on the xtr cranks, if anything they're heavier. you could probably ditch the little plastic thing that sits inbetween the bb cups inside the bb shell but your bearings will die quicker. the only other way to drop grams without doing something drastic like filing/dremmeling is to change the rings.

of course, you could ditch the granny ring and bolts and go 2x9.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll consider 2x9.....changing my limit screw for now....leaving the ring in case I need it....

There reasonable light. Im reconsidering going super light since Geoff Kabush's bike weighs 24.5 lbs and he north americas best....got 2nd in a world cup.....

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Ultralight vs performance...

I ditched the cranks that came with my bike for the new XTR not because they were lighter, but because they shift like nothing I've ever experienced. I rode them at Interbike and in one ride realized that they're worth every penny and extra gram for the superior shifting. It's amazing. Better than Dura-Ace, better than Campy, better than previous XTR, and not by just a little, either.

I don't really know how you'd lighten them up any without losing that except for maybe ditching the plastic guide/seal inside the bb like aussie-yeti said, but if you ride in wet or mud at all it's bound to affect bearing life. My suggestion is to look elsewhere to save more weight and leave the krank alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.